New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod - The Official "How To Transfer Your iPod or iTunes Library to Your New Mac" Thread

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Daibhidh

Daibhidh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook - 2.0Ghz, 2GB, 160GB

Senuti only lets you transfer 1000 songs on the free trial, then you have to buy a license to use it more. I used a program called iPod View for the rest. Both were slightly glitchy, and I had to quit and re-open the applications a couple of times after every couple of hundred tracks, but the job is done now, and it works fine.

Now, does anyone know if I can pull the photos from my 2005-ish 30GB iPod Photo?
QUOTE Thanks
greggebhardt

greggebhardt is on a distinguished road

I am a iTouch newbie when it comes to moving my music from my old device to my new 32gb iTouch arriving tomorrow. It is synced with my PC but I bought some of the songs and others were recored from CD. Some of the CD's I no longer have. I do have a wireless network set up at the house and office.

So what would be the best way for me to get my music moved to my new iTouch 2G?
QUOTE Thanks
ar1284a

ar1284a is on a distinguished road

I've been in the process of transferring my music from my iPod 30g to my MacBook's new hard drive using Senuti. Some of the files weren't working and Senuti kept freezing, so I quit both iTunes and Senuti and unplugged my iPod. When I plugged my iPod back in to begin transferring again (holding down the Option and Command keys), I got the classic error message: iTunes cannot read the contents of my iPod and wants me to restore it to factory settings. If I restore, I will lose over 6000 songs!! I've tried resetting the iPod by holding down the center and Menu buttons and I've tried plugging it into a wall charger and an iHome before connecting it to the computer again.

How can I transfer the music files from my iPod to my MacBook without restoring? Help!!
QUOTE Thanks
Jack D

Jack D is on a distinguished road

My pc crashed and i had it recently repaired, and ive reinstalled itunes, but the itunes library with all my songs in it has been erased so when i plug my ipod into itunes, it asks me if i want to format/wipe my ipod so it works with the new itunes.. how can i put all my songs back into the itunes library and how can i prevent my ipod audio content from being erased to make it work with the new itunes program ?
I have not got a Mac pc.. just a basic IBM Pc

Im new to this forum, not sure how to post a question .
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to back up my iTunes library, playlists, the lot from my iMac direct to an External Hard Drive rather than DVD - I currently need 8 DVDs and it takes loads of time. EHD would be much quicker.

Many thanks.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
newtomac22

newtomac22 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR3 Memory, 500GB hard drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

what do I do when I upgrade my HD? how do I transfer all my music and how do I keep my playlists intact along with all the album artwork.
QUOTE Thanks
carlyse_09

carlyse_09 is on a distinguished road

One way to back up your iTunes Library is to consolidate your library into one folder and then copy that folder to an external hard drive.This is a painless process that only takes a few moments to accomplish.
QUOTE Thanks
macinholl

macinholl is on a distinguished road

i downloaded senuti and it was fine but then when i insert my ipod itunes comes up and senuti dosent do anything... i cant transfer my music or anything.. what the heck!!
QUOTE Thanks
laxexquis

laxexquis is on a distinguished road

I just turn my iPod into an external disk by putting it into disk mode and copy the iTunes files, this includes the library files (playlists), artwork and of course songs. really simple.

John
QUOTE Thanks
jcal0820

jcal0820 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlyse_09 View Post
One way to back up your iTunes Library is to consolidate your library into one folder and then copy that folder to an external hard drive.This is a painless process that only takes a few moments to accomplish.

For those who used an External Hard Drive to transfer their iTunes library, how has it turned out on the other, or new, computer that the files were transferred to? I'm looking at PC to Mac... any issues to expect??
QUOTE Thanks
Rayzilla

Rayzilla is on a distinguished road

Since this is the official thread, I figured I should post my request here for the easiest method to date on transferring my iTunes library from my old PC to my brand new Mac Mini.

And will I need to do anything special to the iTunes in my MM for it to recognize my Touch? Will I still be able to use my Touch on both iTunes (PC and Mac)?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Phacade

Phacade will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM

Like a champ, worked great! Thanks.

21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac "Sputnik" ■ 12GB Crucial RAM ■ Monsoon flat-panel speakers ■ HP P1006 LaserJet printer ■ Full Keyboard ■ Canoscan 9000F flatbed scanner ■ ...and then of course me (being a narcissist, I consider this to be the most important mod).
QUOTE Thanks
willieco

willieco is on a distinguished road

is there any way to get my music off an ipod touch
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Detune

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
LongTimeMakUser

LongTimeMakUser is on a distinguished road

op, geez, it's an old thread, but we got a new 3G Iphone and hundreds of songs on our older Imac.. G4, PowerPC we badly want to transfer the music from our IMac onto our new Iphone, but when we plug in the Iphone into the computer, it doesn't show an Iphone icon on the desktop (though it does for the IPhoto, so don't know what's going on?) and so won't let us transfer the songs from the puter onto the IPhone!
What's wrong here?

Also any good websites or forums that will give you step by step instructions on how to use your Iphone 3G and the apps you can use for free?
TIA

Look forward to the members response.. have a good one..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« charging and playing at the same time | iTunes quits when my iPod Nano 4th gen is connected »