New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod - The Official "How To Transfer Your iPod or iTunes Library to Your New Mac" Thread

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ciscom23

ciscom23 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMAC; iPAD; iPHONE 4s; iPOD Classics; Time Machine

thank you so much this worked great!
QUOTE Thanks
MacBoy1995

MacBoy1995 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air '13, Mid 2011, 128GB

Now you tell me
QUOTE Thanks
Chase

Chase is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much. I was deliberating whether I wanted to purchase a Mac or not based on if I could transfer my iTunes over without hassle.

This looks like a good solution and am very glad you posted it!

You have potentially swayed my decision to buy a Apple iMac. Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
Coltanio

Coltanio is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 3.09 GHz 1 TB hardrive 2 GB RAM, Macbook 2.16 GHz 1 GB RAM, 8 GB iPod touch, 80GB ipodclsc

hey i just got my new imac today and its running 10.5 but when i tried using a firewire cable to transfer my music pics videos docs and preferences from my old imac running tiger it wouldn't let me is it because 10.5 wont transfer things from 10.4???

i also have an 80 GB ipod classic so is there any way to use it to transfer my music,pics,vidoes, and TV shows?
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

I am surprised this wasn't posted here already... so here goes:

I just recently got the new iMac with Leopard for my dad. I wanted to transfer all my music to his iMac. Surprisingly it was as simple as 1,2,3... no extra software needed.

If you already have an iTunes account, then all you need to do is sign to iTunes on your new computer with the same credentials as the original account. Plug in your iPod that is Loaded with all your Music Purchases and iTunes will ask you what do you want to do. "Transfer Music from iPod" or "Erase and Sync iPod". Click on the "Transfer Music from iPod" and PRESTO, all the purchased songs and movies will be transfered on ur new Mac no problem.

Granted, this doesn't work for photos. Also, I am not sure but it might not work with music purchased from other sources than iTunes but I wouldn't know since I just deal with iTunes.

Also, I have some songs I got for free from other websites and those didn't transfer with that method.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

MMM
QUOTE Thanks
raptorkid700

raptorkid700 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook

i have a ipod touch, how can i transfer the songs? senuti hasnt been working
QUOTE Thanks
raptorkid700

Mac Specs: macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook

and is there anyway to have a disk mode on an ipod touch?
QUOTE Thanks
raptorkid700

can anyone help at al? come on....
QUOTE Thanks
raptorkid700

gota love the help on this forum....
QUOTE Thanks
haslambr

haslambr is on a distinguished road

I've read through this, but haven't really understood the best way to transfer music I have on my ipod (via my buddy's itunes) to my itunes.

I thought, after reading a post or two, that all i had to do was plug in and then i see maybe i need software.

Could someone help a novice out here with steps 1 2 and 3?

Thanks,
Brendan
QUOTE Thanks
microhrd

microhrd is on a distinguished road

Hello there. I'm an iMac newbie, having finally gotten an iMac this year to go along with the 3 year-old iPod a friend gave me and the AirPort given to me last year as a present. Like many on this thread, I had my entire mp3 library lost when my old computer bought the farm. While I was able to retrieve the actual mp3 files, anything I had done to categorize them (correct artist name and spelling, etc.) was lost forever. Fortunately, everything was still on my old 30gb iPod!

I've read many here speak of senuTi and how it's helped restore their files to iTunes and even how it's helped some of you restore your playlists. I never got that far and never created playlists, but I would like to make sure that the titles and artist info as I originally edited them into iTunes (and then copied onto the iPod) copied as well.

I'm terrified of losing everything while I do this and want to make sure I do everything right the first time. Can anyone give me some pointers? Feel free to talk down to me as after playing around with PCs for nearly 20 years, I feel like I'm starting all over again!

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
zacRWE

zacRWE is on a distinguished road

so... when using my iPod as a flash device it dosent matter that it is formatted for Windows when transfering music to my new iMac?
QUOTE Thanks
Shigeo

Shigeo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 3 GB of RAM, 250 GB Hard Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotskate View Post
How about a free program to transfer your ipot to a pc?
use idump
QUOTE Thanks
DaveySch

DaveySch is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 13.3" 2.4Ghz

HI i know this thread has been inactive for a while but if i know if i post this elsewhere ill get replies saying how i should look before asking rather than replies actually answering my questions, so here it goes,
i have a 30gb ipod (like 4 years old), and my entire library is in it.
a couple of months ago the computer i had all my music on passed. so im now stuck with a four year old ipod as the only backup of my beloved music, and i just feel im against the clock here.

whenever i wanted to transfer something from an ipod to a friends computer i would use idump, which worked great, is there a mac version of it?
if there isnt a mac idump, the OP is from more than a year back, is senuti still valid as a choice? is it up to date? wont it freeze in the middle of the 30gig transfer?

i already did the itunes transfer, but that just transferred the purchases (and lets face it, theyre nothing compared to the amount of music i have)
i have entire discographies which i ripped off of friends CDs and some P2Ping.

i just need someones aproval before i start using senuti, would some1 please give me the aok? or recommend something else? sweet!
QUOTE Thanks
vivaretro

vivaretro is on a distinguished road

thanks for the great info
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« charging and playing at the same time | iTunes quits when my iPod Nano 4th gen is connected »