New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Ipod Format Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

XMARLTONX

XMARLTONX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB

My iPod was orginally formatted with a PC.

I plugged my iPod in to my Mac for the first time and it told me it can't update windows formatted ipods.

Anyway to format it to Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMARLTONX View Post
My iPod was orginally formatted with a PC.

I plugged my iPod in to my Mac for the first time and it told me it can't update windows formatted ipods.

Anyway to format it to Mac?
not really. get your songs off your ipod if you have not already then you will have to restore the ipod.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Restoring your iPod on your Mac will reformat it as a Mac iPod (HFS+ format).

QUOTE Thanks
Smell The Glove

Smell The Glove will become famous soon enough

This is exactly the same question I was going to ask. ****. So I can't do the old iPod rescue stuff to throw my tunes onto the Mac iTunes then? Is there an easy way to shift the iTunes library over to the Mac? Or am I going to have to re-rip all those freaking CDs again? I'd love to put my Library on my external drive to save space on the internal drive, but I'm not quite sure what I'd have to do for that (of course, I know I'd lose access to them when I wasn't home and hooked up to my external drive).
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

XMARLTONX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB

Thanks guys, worked like a charm =)
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smell The Glove View Post
This is exactly the same question I was going to ask. ****. So I can't do the old iPod rescue stuff to throw my tunes onto the Mac iTunes then? Is there an easy way to shift the iTunes library over to the Mac? Or am I going to have to re-rip all those freaking CDs again? I'd love to put my Library on my external drive to save space on the internal drive, but I'm not quite sure what I'd have to do for that (of course, I know I'd lose access to them when I wasn't home and hooked up to my external drive).
Just copy the files to the external drive and then either leave them there or move to the Mac. Then just add them to the library. It's pretty simple really.

QUOTE Thanks
dalofsin

dalofsin is on a distinguished road

I have a MAC formatted IPod and plugged it into a PC. It gave 2 messages, the first being updates available for the IPod.

The second was reformat.

I chose update first and now its stuck on the faint apple logo and wont do anything.

What happened?:radioacti
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

The PC won't read a Mac formatted iPod since MS never included that capability. Plug the iPod back into a Mac and reformat it, then try again.

QUOTE Thanks
Rambaud

Rambaud is on a distinguished road

My iPod was due to arrive today, but didn't.

I am assuming that MacDrive on my PC will be able to read a Mac formatted ipod?
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

If it doesn't you can always try a 3rd party app like YamiPod to access the iPod ...
QUOTE Thanks
Rambaud

Rambaud is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8 View Post
If it doesn't you can always try a 3rd party app like YamiPod to access the iPod ...
Thanx for that - I'll see what happens tomorrow (hopefully).
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

You should be right with it .... it's not too difficult a concept what you want to do. Post back if you get stuck.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How can you Deauthorize a computer... | I need some serious help here... »