New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Control a windowless iTunes from DragThing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

While working, I use iTunes. But I find that the controller gets obscured by other windows. Or it just plain clutters my desktop. So I wanted to get rid of the controller but still use iTunes.

There are many utilities that will control iTunes. But I didn't want to load another program on my development machine. However I do run DragThing on my system, as I consider it as part of the OS.

If you have an iTunes icon in a DragThing dock, you can right click to show the menu and control iTunes right from there. But I didn't like the extra step. So I came up with another solution.

Using three AppleScripts, I made it so you can controll iTunes from within a dock without any menus. All you have to do is expand the draw and click play (or next/previous).

I left the iTunes conteler up to demonstrate the functions of the buttons in DragThing. Being that everything works, you can close the iTunes controller - which does not quit iTunes or interrupt the music in any way. You're left with a clean desktop, and quick access to iTunes from a DragThing dock. Sweet.

How-To, demo movie, and the AppleScripts:
http://www.webveteran.com/blog/index...hing-dock#more

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

I just use the iTunes icon in the Apple Dock.

Right-click and you get "Play/Pause", "Track Forwards", "Track Backwards", title of the song, etc.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice

Two things...
A) Thats too clumbsy for me. Right click then click the menu item...
I like three big simple buttons instead. I mouse over the dock tab, click the button.
B) The apple dock item doesn't work unless iTunes is already running. My approach launches iTunes for you if it is not already running.
C) a bonus... I don't like the apple docks. It's kinda useless compared to DragThing (except the dynamic icons).

QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Not trying to argue, but...

A) In the video, you click (1) to open DragThing (2) to get to the iTunes tab, and (3) for the actual command.

B) See above, (1) click to activate DragThing, (2) to open iTunes. As opposed to the (1) click required to open iTunes from the Apple Dock.

C) Fair enough, DragThing has always seemed overly-complicated to me compared to the simplicity of Apple's Dock. I think they nailed it perfectly. I do like DragThing's adeptness for customization, however.

Anywho, different strokes, eh?

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

Argueing is ok. We're decent.

I did click the tabs, to show the functionality and let the user know what is going on. It gives feedback to whats happening. But the dock layer does expand on hover (after a short delay). So a hover over the iTunes tab summons the layer automagically.

It's really just one click to start itunes and play. Hover over the tab and 1) click play.

With the dock you'd have to 1) click itunes icon, then 2) right click after it's done bouncing, and 3) click the play menu item.

QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

A third opinion: I like using quicksilver for that

http://seanmcgrath.wordpress.com/200...tunes-kung-fu/

...have it installed anyways, because I use it for almost everything and it's just an awesome app
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« got my ipod nano 2gb today | iPod Shuffle Music Transfer help.. »