New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iTunes library size limit?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Soundhound

Soundhound is on a distinguished road

I have a 500 gig library of music (don't ask) and have kind of a quirky setup to make it available on my home network. It works ok, but the problem is that the size of the library seems to freak out iTunes. It takes foverer to load, freezes temporarily sometimes, permanently sometimes, works really slugishly others. Is there a size limit to the library iTunes can access properly? Anyone else dealing with a huge itunes library/have any solutions for this?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

give us some of your comptuers specs.

i bet that you are running out of ram and that itunes is bogging down because it is using up all of your ram...how do other applications run when itunes is slowing up? monitor your 'activity monitor' when using itunes for a while and see what your processor and memory usage are
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Soundhound

the specs are 1.67 ghz PPC G4. 1.5 gigs of RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I have the same issues at times. I have over 85,000 music tracks (600+ Gb) and over 3000 Video tracks (700=+ Gb) in iTunes. everything is spread across 7 internal and external drives, and iTunes is on my main boot drive (8th drive). It can get sluggish at times, even on the Quad G5. iTunes is not all that good with large library database files it seems.

There are several options:

1) Delete your library and rebuild it.

2) Create separate libraries for Music and Video or even Music, TV shows and Movies. Hold down Ctrl + Shift (I think) when starting iTunes and it will give the option select a library or create a new one. You can create as many as you want, but to switch between them you have to restart iTunes.

I've done option 1 and it helps a bit. Option 2 works pretty well but can get cumbersome when you want to switch between libraries.

I'm guessing that you are using a network drive so that may be part of your issue. Other than that, I don't know of any real tricks to speed up performance other than get a faster computer or reduce the overall size of the library.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

On my G4 Power Macs I have noticed when the iTunes library gets really large it lags a bit trying to get to it. My Video Card even made a difference when I changed from the stock GF2 to an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with 128 Megs. That seemed to help also when the library got really large as before the upgrade it was very jerky scrolling the library. The rest is probably CPU speed and maybe even Hard Drive speed. Try the tips also that Baggss suggested.
QUOTE Thanks
Soundhound

It is a network drive but this happens even when my laptop is not connected to the network. The library file is very big, and I'm guessing that is what makes iTunes so clunky. There are very few video files in itunes. I have a library of video stuff, but I keep that separate because of this problem, I didn't want to make it worse. arg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
I have the same issues at times. I have over 85,000 music tracks (600+ Gb) and over 3000 Video tracks (700=+ Gb) in iTunes. everything is spread across 7 internal and external drives, and iTunes is on my main boot drive (8th drive). It can get sluggish at times, even on the Quad G5. iTunes is not all that good with large library database files it seems.

There are several options:

1) Delete your library and rebuild it.

2) Create separate libraries for Music and Video or even Music, TV shows and Movies. Hold down Ctrl + Shift (I think) when starting iTunes and it will give the option select a library or create a new one. You can create as many as you want, but to switch between them you have to restart iTunes.

I've done option 1 and it helps a bit. Option 2 works pretty well but can get cumbersome when you want to switch between libraries.

I'm guessing that you are using a network drive so that may be part of your issue. Other than that, I don't know of any real tricks to speed up performance other than get a faster computer or reduce the overall size of the library.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

85,000 music tracks?

Very cool.

Isn't the library in an XML format? Probably not really that efficient.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Yea the library is built on XML which is really aweful for large library usage. Hopefully with Leopard and Core Data we will see a new database system for iTunes to increase performance

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Cassifire

Cassifire has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 1.83, iBook G3 800, iMac G3 233, Mac Classic, Apple IIc. And too many PC's to count.

How do you have that much music? I have exactly 1 GB.
QUOTE Thanks
ste6168

ste6168 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
I have the same issues at times. I have over 85,000 music tracks (600+ Gb) and over 3000 Video tracks (700=+ Gb) in iTunes.
Baggs.... I envy you lol. both the op and baggs make my measly 23000+ song / 50 video library look terrible. I cant wait to someday reach 500gigs
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassifire View Post
How do you have that much music? I have exactly 1 GB.
my library is 1970 songs/files or in size terms 8.33gb or 5.2 days.
QUOTE Thanks
pjw7790

pjw7790 is on a distinguished road

I only have 1960 songs and 20 something videos.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

I;m running about 65 gigs (about 20 gigs of Music and 45 gigs of Video, blame Battlestar Galactica and 24..., will be even worse if Stargate SGI ever comes out from season 1).

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
slashjunior

slashjunior is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)

How do people get that much music? I have 12120 songs (which reminds me, I need to update my iPod), 34.7 days, 72.35GB of music no videos. All of my music is ripped in VBR MP3 -alt preset standard LAME using EAC on Windows. If I were to rip all my music into lossless then maybe I would be reaching that sort of figure for my music.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I will simply say that I do not own the CDs for anywhere near all of the music in my library. No, I don't do P2P either.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sharing Playlists... | iTunes download for 10.2.8? »