New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

selective ipod updates without erasing?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

knucklehead13

knucklehead13 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo 17" MacBook Pro, 2GB RAM

i'm wondering if there's any way of updating a 5G ipod video, WITHOUT erasing anything off of it. for instance, i'd like to basically put new music/videos ON the ipod (by selecting them in the "synch checked items" list in itunes), without having it delete everything not checked.

why would i need or even want to do this? anti-redundancy. several of my favorite movies (legally-owned DVDs, naturally) live on my computer twice - one is an ipod-formatted file, which resides in itunes. the other is a much higher video bitrate, low-compression, 2-pass encoded, big banger that lives in my 'movies' folder, for viewing in front row or in quicktime.

so basically, after i have a redundant video on my ipod, i'd like to be able to delete it from itunes without having itunes delete it off my ipod on the next update.

thoughts?

"on a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." - tyler durden, "fight club"
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Set your iPod to "Enable Disk Use"... then just Drag-N-Drop what ever songs/vids you want FROM your "Library"... TO Your iPod (knucklehead13's iPod).

I ONLY use my iPod in "Disk Use" and "Manually Manage my Music"
QUOTE Thanks
knucklehead13

knucklehead13 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo 17" MacBook Pro, 2GB RAM

do you do that in the itunes interface? cause i tried it from the desktop and all it did was copy the file over without giving the ipod the ability to play it. (in other words, it was like using the ipod as an external hd.)

???

"on a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." - tyler durden, "fight club"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ipod Nano - Product red | splash! »