New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Little Known iTunes Secret

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ste6168

ste6168 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM

Alright, I had asked a few days ago about two harddrives for different media types and got a responce that sparked some interest. Someone mentioned something about using aliases. I dont store my library on my mac becuase of space and portability issues, but rather and older PC and just stream through iTunes to my mac or an airport express (works great, btw). What I have found though is that you can keep your iTunes music folder organized and copy files to it and if you want to keep music and movies on a seperate hdd that it actually is possible. I have an 80g hdd for my movies and a 160g for my music. The way to use two seperate hdd's is add the movies and music to iTunes and let them copy into the music folder. Heres where extra steps come in. (preferably do this to your movies, as you will probably have less movies than music, but its your choice).

Steps:
1) Copy music and movies to iTune music folder as mentioned above.
2) Go to that iTunes music folder and find the movies folder and open it up.
3) All your movies added in iTunes should be here. Highlight them all and create shortcuts (assuming this will work the same in OS X, create alias).
4) Either delete the original movies or move them to your other hdd or different folder of choice, leaving shortcut/alias in movies folder.
5) You will get the "locate original file" error when they are tried to play in iTunes for the first time.
6) Click yes to locate original file and find the shortcut/alias and select that.
7) Your movies should now play while only having a 1kb file on your "music" hdd.

Hope this helps some people who are having the same or similar problem with iTunes and not having enough space, while still trying to maintain a fairly organized music folder.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Just curious, why can't you show it where the original file really is and just not have an alias?

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
ste6168

ste6168 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4 View Post
Just curious, why can't you show it where the original file really is and just not have an alias?
hmm... actually i never thought about that lol. im going to try becuase that would be alot easier. I will let you know in a few minutes if it works without re-adding it to the iTunes folder

EDIT** well, good call, It does work without adding it back to the iTunes music folder. Good call, thanks
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

no problem.. Glad I could cut an extra step out of the process for you.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2 iPods; 1 Computer - How does that work? | Well my ipod photo bit the dust »