New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Capture streaming audio from iTunes Radio...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Guvna

Guvna is on a distinguished road

Is there a way to capture the streaming audio from the iTunes radio broadcasts? Can this be done in Quicktime or Garageband? I have loaded a couple of freeware programs but they all seem to only recognize an "Input" not the streaming audio via iTunes.

Thanks!
Guvna:headphone
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

RadioLover does exactly what you're looking for.

If you wanted to capture everything that comes out of your sound card, WireTapPro or AudioHijack will work, but they don't cut the stream into individual MP3s the way RadioLover does.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

The freeware stuff (I assume Audacity?) for some reason will not capture from the sound card on a Mac. Not sure why, but it doesn't. Audio HiJack will, and that's a good way to capture iTunes radio. The Windows version of Audacity will, and is quite effective. I've built quite a library using this method; you just need to make sure you aren't doing anything else on your Windows computer that will make it into the recording. (Fair Use; I don't share what I've captured.) Stream rippers can be detected and banned from the stream but Audio HiJack cannot.

While recording I note in a text file the artist, title, and album of what is being recorded (or more accurately, I wrote a script which goes and grabs it for me from their website while I'm recording the stream) for later tagging. You can use Audacity to extract the individual tracks and save them off to individual mp3s or AACs later.

Neither Audacity recording on Windows nor Audio HiJack recording on a Mac can be detected by the streaming station, but you have to do the work to tag each file later. I consider it a hobby of sorts. 128kbps streams are of sufficient quality for my ears, and burn CDs which are quite acceptable to listen to in the car. The encoded mp3s are also acceptible on the iPod.

To those who will decry this as 'stealing', this is no different from what we did back when recording broadcast radio onto 8-track tapes back in the '70s.
QUOTE Thanks
Guvna

Guvna is on a distinguished road

...I have tried the Radio lover and while it works well, it includes the start of new songs on the end of the previous song file. Any thoughts on a fix for that?

I also tried their other program iRecordMusic...while that seemed to work for a stream other than iTunes, it never seemed to capture what I needed in full. It would begin recording and stop or shutdown recording at varying points and never completed a full recording of what I wanted to capture.

I will try out the audiohijack and see how that does.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

The challenge with RadioLover and iRecordMusic is that many of the iTunes radio stations crossfade their songs, and the applications are dependent on when the stations send the new song title information.

RadioLover is fine for what I need-- if there's a song I want to keep in my library and the crossfading/missing parts bother me, I'll spend the money and buy the song.
QUOTE Thanks
ace.neerav

ace.neerav is on a distinguished road

found this thread very helpful... its 2011 and i dont know if u guys already know this, but the version of radiolover i downloaded allows u to set the file as a sinlge continous recording if there is no splitting info available from the stream. otherwise, by default it splits at 5 mbs. u will have to open the standard recording profile and make the changes in the "splitting" section.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Audio Hijack Pro is a way better value for money. For straightforward (no frills) recording of radio streams, there's FStream (free).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Current iPod Touch - Worth Getting? | different language »