New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Itunes won't play next song

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

heepofajeep

heepofajeep is on a distinguished road

When I am running Itunes, and press the 'next [or previous] song' button, I get nothing, no music, no song selection. Instead I just get the apple logo where the song info should be.

I have tried everything I can think of to remedy this problem... Reinstalled Itunes, selecting specific playlists rather than main music folder, turning off & restarting computer, Toggling Random [single, and all], Shuffle, and looking through any preferences that seem to be applicable.

Now I am at a loss for two hours, and forced to either listen to music through my ipod, or manually select songs (which is a PIA with a large quantity of songs).

Your help is much appreciated.

FWIW, here are the specs to the hardware I am using: Windows XP professional, up-to-date as of November 2006, Dell Laptop, Itunes 7.0 (re-downloaded 1-1-07).

Also, one more thing, This seemed to start happening at the same time I was playing around with keyboard settings on a Logitech mx3200 keyboard/mouse combo. I was selecting 'next song' with the keyboard, which worked fine, and then hit a music-player button, which defaulted to opening up windows media player. I have no idea if this is related, as I did not immediately notice the problem until an hour or two after playing with the keyboard buttons (I could have just been zoning out and not noticed). I should point out that the problem still occurs when I disconnect the keyboard from the laptop.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Have you tried uninstalling/re-installing the software that came with your keyboard , that is if you installed it in the first place....
QUOTE Thanks
heepofajeep

Yes, I did. Also, the problem seemed to occur with the keyboard software uninstalled, and using just the laptop keyboard

Thanks for the suggestion though!
QUOTE Thanks
heepofajeep

One more update... The 'next song' seems to work fine with podcosts.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Is all your music in the iTunes Library folder?
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

just another short coming of windows

I would put all the music on the ipod, erase all the songs off your computer, delete itunes and all files associated with it (and registry entries as well, which can be found by hitting windows+r and typing in regedit).. restart the computer, install itunes, then use a program (podutil is available on windows) to put the songs back into itunes.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
heyhey555

heyhey555 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I had a similar problem and I came up with a solution- I'm not sure, though, if your problem has such a simple solution. I found that on my playlist, it wouldn't progress to the next song-- I kept having to press play and click on a different song; playing one fluid playlist wasnt possible. I realized that I needed to check off all the songs in order for it to go to the next one. Try selecting all the songs, right clicking (if you have Windows like me), and putting in "check all" or whatever comes up.

Other than that, im not sure Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

I just unchecked my whole iTunes music library and after a song finished, iTunes just stopped playing. So to have continuous playback all songs must have a tick in the box directly to the left of the song title.

So heepofajeep, have a look to see if heyhey555's remedy fixes your problem.
QUOTE Thanks
JJvherksen

JJvherksen is on a distinguished road

I had the exact same issue. After putting all the checkmarks I can finally skip to the next song again.
QUOTE Thanks
heepofajeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey555 View Post
Hi,

I had a similar problem and I came up with a solution- I'm not sure, though, if your problem has such a simple solution. I found that on my playlist, it wouldn't progress to the next song-- I kept having to press play and click on a different song; playing one fluid playlist wasnt possible. I realized that I needed to check off all the songs in order for it to go to the next one. Try selecting all the songs, right clicking (if you have Windows like me), and putting in "check all" or whatever comes up.

Other than that, im not sure Good luck!
That did it... so it seems it was user error, lol.

Thank you guys very much for the help! Sorry for the lack of an update-- tonight is the first I have sat at my desk in over a week (very busy lately).

Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Enjoy your music library, heepofajeep.... :^P
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

don't often leave rep for a guy with 1 post.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
sillybear

sillybear is on a distinguished road

I think the numerous upgrades for iTunes whacked all playlists by removing the default checkmarks by ALL songs in ALL playlists.

The solution is to go to your playlist, press Ctrl-A to select all songs in playlist, then right-click to select Check Selection.

SB
QUOTE Thanks
amnioticentity

amnioticentity is on a distinguished road

hate to burst the bubble, but this is not a fix.
this is a hack, and i'll tell you why.
---
i am having the the same issue as the OP.
i have unchecked and rechecked my entire library.
it plays "continuously" when everything is checked.
i cannot sync my ipod when everything is checked.
i should not have to check songs unrelated to my
playlist to enable play-through.
---
Dear apple, fix your **** & come out with a 1tb iPod Plz.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnioticentity View Post
hate to burst the bubble, but this is not a fix.
this is a hack, and i'll tell you why.

i cannot sync my ipod when everything is checked.
---
Dear apple, fix your **** & come out with a 1tb iPod Plz.
My library is also too large to sync to my ipod, so I set up a playlist called ipod sync, with just the tunes I want and can fit on the ipod - and instruct iTunes to sync just that music library
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPod touch 5th generation | iPod Touch 4G shows every thing as "other" and wont sync »