New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

To Pod or not to Pod?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

melmation

melmation has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive

That is the question, but I hope you guys (and gals) have some helpful hints.

So, I got some money for Christmas, and usually, as I am self employed, that money goes straight to bills and I never see any joy from it (appart from my bank looking ok for one month).

Anyway, This year I have been seriously tempted to purchase something for myself to enjoy. An iPod has been on my "I don't need it but I so want it" list.

Now, the Nano is lovely, and the silver one would go well with my MBP. However, I am a media artist, and the idea of a black 30Gb iPod would be tempting too. I am in the UK so it would be 99 for the 2Gb or 130 odd for the 4Gb nano, but no video, but the cuteness of it's size and colour (and casing). On the other hand, I could blow most of the money and get the 30Gb black iPod for 169 or so. I am well elligable for educational discount as I run Animation workshops completely run from Mac's.

On the other hand, I could buy a 1Gb card for my phone and bung it all on there, but hey, if you got a Mac, why not get an iPod right?

On the other other hand, I could try and save up for a nice 24" lcd screen for my MBP which I have wanted for oh-so-long now.

Gurrrr.

Or I could pop the money in the bank and wait for January 8th to see what is new.

Basically, has anyone in the UK bought an iPod on educational discount? and how much did you get off? (I still have to register)

What should I do? what should I do? answers on a postcard please!

ps. failing a postcard, the message board will do fine
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I would say treat yourself to the ipod 30gb video like you want .... all work and no play is not a good thing sometimes... however waiting until after macworld may be a smart idea.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

are you set on an ipod?

as opposed to something else?
QUOTE Thanks

12991 is on a distinguished road

I would definitely wait. Rumor has it, that a new 3.5 inch non touch screen ipod is going to be announced in January. And are you going to be vacationing in the US, or have a friend in the US? Or, what i would do, if you know the new ipod will be to expensive or what ever, go on ebay, get a new sealed ipod video for $200 which is barely even 100 pounds. Dont buy the ipod video for 169 pounds, your just getting ripped off. For all of you without a currency converter in your widgets thats about $330
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

The only issue with buying something like an iPod outside of the UK is that mel will have to pay VAT when the item comes into the country.

That said, you may want to wait until after Steve Jobs' keynote address at Macworld on January 9 just to see what products are announced.

For what it's worth, my vote is for a spiffy new 30GB Video iPod. :-)
QUOTE Thanks

12991 is on a distinguished road

But he wont have to pay that much vat... I mean whats the most he'll have to pay? 20 pounds?
QUOTE Thanks
CarlConti08

CarlConti08 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD

Please, just wait. You won't suffer from the lack of any of those things and if you wait, you might just luck out with the latest and greatest from Apple. This is just my opinion though.

QUOTE Thanks
vandal31593

vandal31593 is on a distinguished road

Go for the 30GB iPod Video, it owns

iMac C2D
Macbook Pro CDuo
iPhone 3G 8GB
twitter.com/hadimirza
QUOTE Thanks
thefarpavllions

thefarpavllions is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15-inch 2.16GHz

At any rate, it'd be worth waiting another 2 weeks to see if there is a new iPod introduced. If there is, the price of the 30gig video will go down, and if there isn't, you won't be kicking yourself for not waiting 2 weeks.

Patience is a virtue.

NEVERMIND ABOUT THIS

15" Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro = Love
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Give me the money, that way you wont be troubled any longer wondering what to do with it!
QUOTE Thanks
melmation

melmation has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive

Name? Address? Del? Ha ha. No, I think I'll keep hold of it. Going to put it in the bank today as I have allready had a few bills come through that need paying. BUT I will be keen to see what happens post January the 8th and I will make my decision then. Thanks guys.

BTW, I went into my local Dixons digital, and had another play with the Nano. Now, I have been up to the Apple store near my girlfriends and bored her silly with playing on ALL the products on offer, but for some reason, on the Nano in the Dixons store, the screen seemed a little iffy as in 'not that impressive'. maybe this is because of that specific model on display, or maybe it is because now I am in the market for one, I am really focused on the quality.

Anyway, that's another thread, but for this one, thanks for the replies, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Video quality on new 80GB models? | iPod Connector Extender? »