Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Posts
    23
    transfer all songs on one mac to another
    I have a Macbook Pro with a large library of songs. I want to move them to my new Macbook. I have a desktop (PC) that has a wireless router (don't know if that's relevent)

    I would like to connect the MB Pro to the Macbook (wirelessly or by cable) and just import the songs. I noticed that I can copy songs over without them appearing in Itunes without being imported.

    Anybody have the experience here to make this simple?

    Thanks,:headphone

  2. #2

    SunsetRoadzter's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 12, 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    117
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2 GB Ram,Mac Pro Dual 2.66,10 GB Ram Feeding into a 30" LCD
    Quote Originally Posted by yugtun View Post
    I have a Macbook Pro with a large library of songs. I want to move them to my new Macbook. I have a desktop (PC) that has a wireless router (don't know if that's relevent)

    I would like to connect the MB Pro to the Macbook (wirelessly or by cable) and just import the songs. I noticed that I can copy songs over without them appearing in Itunes without being imported.

    Anybody have the experience here to make this simple?

    Thanks,:headphone
    Yeah all you have to do is get a firewire cable and connect the two macbooks.Turn on your macbook then as you startup your macbook pro and hold down t and you will be in target disk mode and you can copy and paste them over. It's pretty easy.
    What is the distance between here and now anyway?:mac:

    Don't forget to use the User Reputation System

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by SunsetRoadzter View Post
    Yeah all you have to do is get a firewire cable and connect the two macbooks.Turn on your macbook then as you startup your macbook pro and hold down t and you will be in target disk mode and you can copy and paste them over. It's pretty easy.
    Will this work with an ethernet cable? Also when I hold down the "t" when starting up I get an odd screen with that includes what looks like an hourglass. It doesn't do anything else just stays there.

    :confused:

  4. #4

    baggss's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 10, 2004
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    10,311
    Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    No, it only works with a FireWire cable. What you see is the Firewire target disc icon on the screen. If it were connected to the other machine, that machines Hard Drive would show up on the others desktop.


  5. #5

    SunsetRoadzter's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 12, 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    117
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2 GB Ram,Mac Pro Dual 2.66,10 GB Ram Feeding into a 30" LCD
    I belive you can only do it with a firewire cable.
    What is the distance between here and now anyway?:mac:

    Don't forget to use the User Reputation System

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by baggss View Post
    No, it only works with a FireWire cable. What you see is the Firewire target disc icon on the screen. If it were connected to the other machine, that machines Hard Drive would show up on the others desktop.
    Thank you to both of you.

    I'll have to pick up a cable.

    What about getting the songs imported into Itunes in mass? I have copied a couple over from my desk top but they don't show up in the Itunes library intill they are played or imported. Can I import them in-mass?

    :headphone

  7. #7

    PowerBookG4's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 08, 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,188
    Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    If you have an ipod you can put all the songs on the ipod and then transfer them over to the computer from the ipod via a program like ipoddisk
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Posts
    23
    We have a 2 Gb (really about 1.7gb). I have about five times that in files to transfer.

    Do you need Ipodisk? Can you just sync it to the new computer with the ipod and Itunes?

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Posts
    23
    Firewire connection between computers. Old computer (one transfering from) started up last holding the "t" key put it in target disk mode like you all said. The harddrive showed up on the new computer and I was able to drag the entire set of folders containing the music files and drop them into the Itunes library. Imported quite a few files quickly and easily.

    Thanks for the help.

    yugtun:cool:

  10. #10

    baggss's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 10, 2004
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    10,311
    Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Quote Originally Posted by yugtun View Post
    Can I import them in-mass?

    :headphone
    Sure. Put them all wherever you want them and just point iTunes to that folder via FILE > AD TO LIBRARY. iTunes will add any music files in the folder you select, even if they are in sub-folders.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How to transfer songs to iPhone?
    By LongTimeMakUser in forum iOS and Apps
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-22-2011, 04:53 PM
  2. Help with ipod songs transfer
    By Steinhoffkaleb in forum Music, Audio, and Podcasting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-07-2010, 10:54 AM
  3. transfer songs
    By DoneDeal in forum Music, Audio, and Podcasting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-13-2008, 09:54 PM
  4. Songs transfer
    By MaDDoG in forum iPod Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-01-2007, 06:26 PM
  5. How to transfer songs from Mac to Dell
    By green6767 in forum iPod Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-21-2007, 03:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •