New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Best Format??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ma Junior

Ma Junior is on a distinguished road

I just got a Ipod Shuffle 1gb. I was wondering, with regards to sound quality, what is the best music format to have your music in(mpeg, mp3, aac,...)? I plan on getting some new Shure E3C earbuds, so I want to make sure I have the best format to enjoy my music.

And before I get flamed. I did search. Thats how I came across the Shure earbuds.
QUOTE Thanks
ste6168

ste6168 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM

The stuff that I rip onto my computer from a CD i usually rip as mp3 at 256 and it sounds really good. I dont know what the "best" is though...
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Your best bet for the shuffle is to let iTunes convert it (on the fly) to 128K AAC. 1Gb is not a lot of space, but 128K AAC, while not a bad format, will give you the most songs/Mb on the shuffle. You can get about 220 or so on there at that rate.

QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

First off, it needs to be said that you shouldn't expect "studio" or even "home stereo" sound quality on your Shuffle-- that's not what it's designed for. It's designed to allow you to take your music with you, and as a result all the formats are a bit lossy. When I want quality, I play the original CDs through my home system (I rarely buy tracks from the iTMS).

That said, I encode everything in MP3/192 kbps in my iTunes library. This gives an acceptable sound quality (I have the Shure E2Cs) and I can play the songs on any other device including my PC.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
Ma Junior

Ma Junior is on a distinguished road

thanks guys
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i agree with 192 kbps, that seems to be the best trade off between size and quality. though if you have something you really like or may really benefit from extra detail, bumping the sample rate to 256 won't hurt.
QUOTE Thanks
nukemm

nukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook

Yeah, another fan of 192Kbps mp3, here, and another E3C user. I got them in Singapore... at the Apple store, of all places. Got them for a steal... let's just say I was a big fan of the exchange rate that day...

Don't forget to use the reputation system!
My Setup
QUOTE Thanks
mraya

mraya is a jewel in the roughmraya is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB

I also have my library in 192Kbps, but i use MP3. I have read some articles that claim AAC is a little better and a little smaler than MP3. I would use AAC but i'm still deciding between a Palm/Pocket PC or an iPod, 256kbps if i had a bigger HD.

[is pointless to click here]
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« transfer all songs on one mac to another | Basic iPod Video Help.. »