New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

itunes opening automatically, unwanted, changed preference?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

muirgheal

muirgheal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook, 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 512 MB. first gen ipod nano, 4 gig black

so my Itunes keeps opening on it's own. I think I changed a preference somewhere, but I can't figure out where, and I need to make it stop. it will open even after I have completely closed down the program, and it checks the Itunes store. I have no idea where the preference is, can someone help me out? it keeps opening over my other programs, and I can't leave it off, it turns itself back on! I don't want to have to delete the program and re-download it!
QUOTE Thanks
muirgheal

Mac Specs: macbook, 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 512 MB. first gen ipod nano, 4 gig black

ok, seriously, I hate having to do this, but *bump*
anyone? anyone? bueller?
please!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

are you sure you're quitting it completely? (does the icon on the dock still have a black arrow?)

if not, make sure to either context click on the dock icon and quit, or go to the apps' name on the menu bar, and quit from that menu.
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

try deleting you com.apple.itunes.plist file.... it will clear all your itunes settings and should fix it. it can be found in user>library>prefences
QUOTE Thanks
muirgheal

yes, it's completely closed. I'm not that computer illiterate. I'm pretty bad with computers, but I'm not that bad.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

when people don't say, you can't assume - just covering the bases (no offense! )
QUOTE Thanks
bunder

bunder is on a distinguished road

Go to iTunes preferences - Store - uncheck "automatically check for available downloads".

That worked for me.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
smgrainger

smgrainger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by muirgheal View Post
so my Itunes keeps opening on it's own. I think I changed a preference somewhere, but I can't figure out where, and I need to make it stop. it will open even after I have completely closed down the program, and it checks the Itunes store. I have no idea where the preference is, can someone help me out? it keeps opening over my other programs, and I can't leave it off, it turns itself back on! I don't want to have to delete the program and re-download it!
Hey, it is really easy to fix. All you have to do is:

1) Click on the iTunes icon in the dock but holding your click until the menu appears. (Or, if you have right click enabled, just right click on the iTunes icon in the dock and that works too).

2) There should be a tick by 'Open at Login'.

3) Simply click on 'Open at Login' and the tick will go away and it's all sorted.

I hope that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
karlito@mac.com

karlito@mac.com is on a distinguished road

Nope. Login on off makes no difference!
QUOTE Thanks
karlito@mac.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunder View Post
Go to iTunes preferences - Store - uncheck "automatically check for available downloads".

That worked for me.

Good luck!

And this one didn't work either?!
QUOTE Thanks
karlito@mac.com

Go to Activity Monitor.app and quick the genredetection process(es).

That did the trick for me.

Apple - Support - Discussions - iTunes keeps restarting automatically ...
QUOTE Thanks
katpie2013

katpie2013 is on a distinguished road

I had the same issue where I would close iTunes and it would automatically open. I tried most of the suggestions I could find. I don't know if this will work for you but I was "sharing" my library with other devices in my house. When I turned that off, the problem went away. Maybe that will help you too.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ipod Touch long term storage | iPod classic still value for money? »