New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

MacBook Pro - EXTREMELY Slow iTunes Importing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

teb1034

teb1034 is on a distinguished road

Hello All...

I'm a 2 month new mac user and so far so great! However, when importing CD's into iTunes, I find myself devising plans to kill myself. Usually I manage around 4x (if I'm lucky) and it takes some CD's over a half-hour to import.

I'm using a MBP Core Duo 2.16 - encoding with AAC 128 (tried MP3, just as slow if not slower it seems). My library is split between an external HD and my MBP and is currently 43 GB.

I love my MBP, but this is a HUGE problem for me... please help!!

Thanks,
teb1034
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

sixslinger will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM

how much RAM do you have? Also, how many other programs are running at the same time. If you have 512MB, and you have a good number of programs running (arrows underneath the icons in the dock), then this could be slowing you down.
QUOTE Thanks
teb1034

1 GIG RAM

I've tried on a fresh restart, with no programs running - no change. I can get the same results from having 6 programs open or 0. Same lame result. Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

try encoding at 192 kb/s. Since it is closer to original state, it should be a bit faster.
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

also....make sure "error correction" is off.....this may be what is slowing your down.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Is the destination drive for the ripped files your internal or external drive?

If it's the external drive, is it USB or Firewire?
QUOTE Thanks
teb1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribiner23 View Post
Is the destination drive for the ripped files your internal or external drive?

If it's the external drive, is it USB or Firewire?
Destination drive is MBP... external isn't even connected when I import. (And it's USB)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Don't know for sure if this is the problem but I have noticed that the very thin CDROM/DVD drives seem a lot slower than the normal desktop drives. Even my iMac G5's CD/DVD drive is slower at ripping/copying than any modern full sized optical drive in my PC's or Desktop Macs. That might be causing some of the slow performance. Not all Optical drives are that great at ripping. I at one time did tests on maybe 40 different but new CDROM drives and the ripping speed varied widely.

Yours if it's really getting 4x sounds a bit slow to me though. Even my iBook is faster than that. Is it 4x all the way through the CD or just at the beginning?
QUOTE Thanks
teb1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Don't know for sure if this is the problem but I have noticed that the very thin CDROM/DVD drives seem a lot slower than the normal desktop drives. Even my iMac G5's CD/DVD drive is slower at ripping/copying than any modern full sized optical drive in my PC's or Desktop Macs. That might be causing some of the slow performance. Not all Optical drives are that great at ripping. I at one time did tests on maybe 40 different but new CDROM drives and the ripping speed varied widely.

Yours if it's really getting 4x sounds a bit slow to me though. Even my iBook is faster than that. Is it 4x all the way through the CD or just at the beginning?
I'm thinking something might be wrong with my drive. 4x is painstaking slow... and 4x is usually the BEST I can get... so 4x is the fastest I've seen it go and it usually ends up importing lower, around 3x.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

That might be it as that is slower than anything I have here. My iBook does at least 12x or more after the first couple of tracks. My iMac G5 gets up to around 20x toward the end of the CD.
QUOTE Thanks
jo5ephedward5

jo5ephedward5 is on a distinguished road

have you tried importing when connected to the mains - or changing the performance levels for battery etc - my MacBook had the same issue and then when i changed this to maximum i was getting much better speeds
QUOTE Thanks
teb1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo5ephedward5 View Post
have you tried importing when connected to the mains - or changing the performance levels for battery etc - my MacBook had the same issue and then when i changed this to maximum i was getting much better speeds
I'm a relatively new mac user, and not familiar with this. How can I try that?
QUOTE Thanks
jo5ephedward5

jo5ephedward5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by teb1034 View Post
I'm a relatively new mac user, and not familiar with this. How can I try that?
go to user settings, and under Options in System Preferences then go Energy Saver and make the appropriate adjustments in the Processor Performance

basically select better performance for power adaptor and battery then try importing and see if there is a difference - if not i'd contact Apple
QUOTE Thanks
teb1034

Ok, so I've tried all the suggestions above and still no dice. Perhaps this is a related problem - I burned a few videos onto a CD using a different computer and tried to copy them to my MBP HD. To copy from CD to HD, 700 MB took over 20 minutes.

I'm guessing... I need to contact Apple? What's the best way to do this (aside from going into the store)? Ugh.

Signed,
Your previously satisfied Mac friend...
QUOTE Thanks
teb1034

[QUOTE=teb1034;278997]Ok, so I've tried all the suggestions above and still no dice. Perhaps this is a related problem - I burned a few videos onto a CD using a different computer and tried to copy them to my MBP HD. To copy from CD to HD, 700 MB took over 20 minutes.
QUOTE]

After posting this, I began to ask myself - it is NOT normal for a CD copy of 700 MB to take longer than 20 minutes, right? 2 divx AVI files direct from CD-ROM to MBP HD.

BTW, this is a Core Duo MBP 2.16 ghz, standard factory model from Apple Store.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Burning a CD with seemless playback | iDoom ...doom on my nano 2ndgen??? »