New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Too young for iPod?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Annie

My little girl will be 10 in February - Big brother (15) and mom (me!) have an iPod and she wants one for Christmas. She loves music and does listen to it a lot and I let her use my iPod around the house ONLY. I thought about a shuffle or an iPod mini if I could find one. Do you all think she is too young? She is a very responsible child and I wouldn't let her take it just anywhere so what do think? I will not buy her a brand new $200.00 or more iPod - I was thinking a used mini or one of the new shuffles but she would like to have the screen.

Annie
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Get her an iPod Shuffle.

I bought one for my Mom for Christmas and I played with it some (I loaded some songs on it for her) before I wrapped it up. It was very nice, but also very tiny. Be careful that your daughter doesn't lose it!

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

I personally prefer the screen on them so I'd say get the Nano or Mini, Apple.com sell refurbished ones that are cheaper than buying new.

I don't think she's too young, only thing I would be careful about is that she doesn't turn up the Volume setting to loud although there will be no immediate effect prolonged use of Earphones at a high level may cause damage later in life.

Go for it, Check out Ebay aswell.

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
cuffless_remz

cuffless_remz is on a distinguished road

a screen really is necessary. i think you can get nanos pretty cheap. i dont personally know your daughter but i think most people (especially younger) will probably get frustrated not knowing what song they are listening to and where to find them
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

grab a nano or mini off ebay or amazon or even the apple store if you want to pay for a brand new 1.

I would get her one with a screen because then she can see which songs she is playing etc..

let us know which route you decide to take.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

of course if she want to listen to the radio you might suggest a creative or sandisk player. i love my sandisk c250 (2G, FM radio, voice recorder, and it acts as a harddrive/flashdrive for any type of files, and runs on a aaa battery). not sure why people are so hung up on ipods and itunes. sure they have a nice jog wheel, but is that and the peer pressure worth the premium?

on topic...
i had all sorts of music players (radios, tape decks, boom boxes, turntables, etc) since i was really young, at least half her age, and usually treated them pretty well, especially by her current age.
QUOTE Thanks
Jem

Jem will become famous soon enough

I've just gone through the same thing... my 9 year old wanted an iPod as she's a bit of a music nut and didn't want the shuffle cos of the lack of screen so I've bought her a 2GB Nano for Christmas (good job she doesn't read the forums ), at $149 new that's not too bad if she does lose it but generally she's careful with things she likes and very computer-savy
QUOTE Thanks
SpliCer261

SpliCer261 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone

shuffle would be okay, but she might fuss she can't see the track listing and all..

maybe a nano from ebay like other posters have suggested. You can get it for a good price

Would she blast the volume really loud with her headphones? She is still a child growing and i'm having a doubt whether it will damager her ears or whether it is safe?

Though there is no doubt she will treasure it like gold. So it will be in good hands!

And hey, xmas is coming.. I'm sure she would love it as a present! and you will score points for being an awesome mom lol

Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing - Solid Snake.
QUOTE Thanks
Annie

I found her a blue ipod mini on ebay for $50.00 - looks brand new and comes in original box with everything. Blue is her favorite color so she will be surprised on Christmas morning. She uses my iPod quite a bit around the house and knows about the volume - I have stressed that to her so by now she knows to be careful. The only thing I'm wondering about now is the headphones - The apple ones don't fit her ears very well (and don't fit mine either) - I have an expensive pair of "in ear" headphones that I love but wouldn't want to get her something expensive and don't think I want her to have the "in ear" type. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help!

Rita
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

I bought my younger daughter a Shuffle when she was 9. She's a very responsible and careful kid, but even the most careful kids (and adults!) drop or lose things. A Mini has a hard drive-- something that can break. You can't break memory (unless you really try).

For what it's worth, a 10-year-old will *know* what songs are playing on his/her music player. I don't know of any 10-year-olds with more than a couple dozen songs in their playlists, so I see a screen as another unnecessary thing that could break.

All that said, it sounds like you made a good find with the Mini. My best suggestion is to get a solid case for it.

As for earphones, my suggestion would be to check out what's carried at Target or Wal-Mart. My daughter went through several pairs of headphones over the time she's had her Shuffle. You can find some very serviceable headphones for under $15 at those stores.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Get her a refurbished nano.

Only newer iPod's with screens have the volume limit feature that lets you lock the maximum volume output to a certain level.

The older mini won't have it, neither will the shuffle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpliCer261 View Post
shuffle would be okay, but she might fuss she can't see the track listing and all..

maybe a nano from ebay like other posters have suggested. You can get it for a good price

Would she blast the volume really loud with her headphones? She is still a child growing and i'm having a doubt whether it will damager her ears or whether it is safe?

Though there is no doubt she will treasure it like gold. So it will be in good hands!

And hey, xmas is coming.. I'm sure she would love it as a present! and you will score points for being an awesome mom lol
QUOTE Thanks
Chewbacca

Chewbacca is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz

If you are over 20 years old, you might have had a CD player at about that age. I know my parents wondered if I was old enough to handle one of those. But really, the ipod has a pretty nifty user interface, it won't be much of a stretch for anyone who can use a microwave, tv remote, or combination lock.
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
If you are over 20 years old, you might have had a CD player at about that age. I know my parents wondered if I was old enough to handle one of those. But really, the ipod has a pretty nifty user interface, it won't be much of a stretch for anyone who can use a microwave, tv remote, or combination lock.
What's a CD Player, Granddad? :headphone

j/k but I agree..

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
SpliCer261

SpliCer261 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone

I didn't like the headphones i got with my ipod nano..

One my ipod nano was black and i wanted black headphones and 2..they never fit in my ear! kept coming out.. I even paid 30 and bought ipod earphones that actually had ends which would snuggly fit into your ear, didn't last and were a waste of money.

I just went to ebay and bought headphones that snugly fitted into my ear... Even though they were cheap, they were exceptional quality. Great sound, fitted perfectly and after yr, still lasts.

Here is an example..this seller is selling the exact ones i have..
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MP3-IPOD-PSP-S...QQcmdZViewItem

Though the ebayer i bought from shipped from hong kong..took 1 week, but i checked the feedback which was plenty, high ratings and was reliable.

Here's another i found

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stereo-Necklac...QQcmdZViewItem

Blue ones that might go with the blue ipod, and it's cheap and they would fit securely in your ear. Feedback is really good too.

Just examples

Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing - Solid Snake.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG D 04 View Post
What's a CD Player, Granddad? :headphone

j/k but I agree..
The Disc Man to some extent superseded the Walk Man...hey!...who stole my zimmer-frame.....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Front Row Video | MAJOR iPod Issue »