New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iTunes Library on External Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Aikidoka

Aikidoka is on a distinguished road

Hey eveyone, First off I gotta say this is a great forum and as a new Mac user I've learned a ton of useful stuff. I'm sure this is a 'newbe' kinda question so sorry if its been brought up before. I'm running a 24" iMac with 2gb of RAM. When I finally have all my music ripped to the system the library will probably be around 60-80gb. I know I have plenty of free space but I havent started installing any programs yet. So here's what I wanted to know. Does anyone keep their music on an external drive to save space on the computer and when you play back is there any noticeable delay. Also can you recommend a external drive?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Get yourself a nice Firewire, 7200rpm drive and you'll see no lag at all. I recommend IcomData all the way, they have great drives.

To set it up, you'll need to open iTunes preferences and set your Music folder to your External drive.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I use it and it works fine. No lag except for when I haven't been accessing files on the Hard Drive for a while it has to spin up before I can listen to songs (a few seconds) but once its spinning there is no delay

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Jackcu

Jackcu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20-inch 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac

I have mine on a wireless NAS drive and it works just fine - the speed of the drive and the wireless network is more than enough to keep up.

Cheers,

Jack.
QUOTE Thanks
Say_Cheese

Say_Cheese has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz

I have mine on a 250Gb USB 2.0 External HDD.

I have no lag.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Mine is (now) on a 250gig firewire drive and there are no problems with lag or anything else. It wasn't originally, but I moved it over and rather than set the preferences to point to the external drive, I created an alias (nee symlink for the UNIX people) that resides on the internal drive pointing to the iTunes folder on the external. Works great.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help plz! | Need Help getting Album Art To Show Up on iPod »