New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iTunes: how to play a song without adding to library?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

otprof

otprof is on a distinguished road

I hope I haven't missed something simple in searching the forum, but here goes. When I play eMusic song clips in iTunes they are added to my music library. Is there a way to play a song without having iTunes remember it, list it among my artists, etc.?

I am playing it in Firefox by choosing "Play in iTunes" in the download dialog.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

I don't believe so, as I have run into that problem too. So I just use quicktime now. It is annoying. I know in itunes preferences -->advanced, there is an option so it doesn't copy to hdd folder when added to library but have never seen an option for disabling it adding to library.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

You could always right click and Open With... Quicktime.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

puaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iBook G4 OSX Tiger

I, too, use quicktime to play songs I don't want in my itunes library for whatever reason. I discovered that if you highlight all of them then drag them onto the quicktime icon in the dock, it will open them in quicktime. Sure saves a lot of time compared to right-clicking and selecting Open with.
QUOTE Thanks
zacman

zacman will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4, 1.5Ghz, 768Mb RAM, 80gb hard drive-imac G4-ipod touch 32Gb 3g-Macbook 2.4ghz, 2BG RAM

Right click on the audio file, then select 'get info'. Click on the 'open with' drop menu and select 'Quicktime player'. Do this with all audio file types(mp3, wav, aiff, etc) and they'll all open with Quicktime from there on.
QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelstumpf
I, too, use quicktime to play songs I don't want in my itunes library for whatever reason. I discovered that if you highlight all of them then drag them onto the quicktime icon in the dock, it will open them in quicktime. Sure saves a lot of time compared to right-clicking and selecting Open with.
another way is to view the files in column view - selecting one will bring up the quicktime controls. You can just hit play without having to launch anything - especially useful if you don't want to import to iTunes or have quicktime windows all over the place.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownley1
another way is to view the files in column view - selecting one will bring up the quicktime controls. You can just hit play without having to launch anything - especially useful if you don't want to import to iTunes or have quicktime windows all over the place.
I love the Column View Quicktime Player thingamajig! You can preview any compatible media right there and then with so much ease.

~
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

I jsut let it enter the library. Once it's played, how long does it take to press Command-Backspace and Enter twice :-) ?

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
vell

vell is on a distinguished road

Well, you could just deselect the auto filename control (can't remember exact name right now) and the copying when you import music in the library. That way at least you will have the songs copies or the source folder touched by iTunes. The first one about filename etc control changes the names of the mp3's quite annoyingly and the second one copies the music to the iTunes Music folder in an annoying way as well. No matter what the settings are (unfortunately NO MATTER what the setting are) it will copy music in a very sloppy way according to its grouping routines. Well, I wish they will fix this because when copying music from external hdd it get on ones' nerves. At least they should put in some extra settings because now there aren't any that can help with the sloppy copying to the hdd and the sloppy changing of the filenames and folder structure.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

VLC is a nice option too, you can keep clicking on different songs and it will add them to a sort of adhoc playlist, but it seems easier to manage to me.

Audion will also just play a song of your choice without adding to a library or playlist.

i have started to use itunes more and more, now that i figured out to stay off the library view and use a playlist to reorder songs to my liking. i just make sure to select all and delete all the playlist items and library items before closing.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mP4 Playback Problem in iTunes | Quick way to rename iPod songs? »