New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod in the car

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

playm0de

playm0de has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 20 inch iMac Core Duo

What are the best options for playing the iPod through the cars stereo? Which ones do you guys use?
Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

In my old car I used a standard Y Cable (mini-jack to RCA) to plug my ipod into the back of my head-unit. Just recently I put new Pioneer systems into both my car and my fiancé's, which have built in ipod support. Before that she used one of those pieces that broadcasts the ipod to an empty FM channel, but that sounded like crap. We are audio FREAKS though, and can not stand audio degradation. :headphone

It depends on A)What kind of Audio Quality you want?
This depends on not only the system you put it through, how you put it into the system, and what quality the MP3's are (I do mine at no less than 192)
B) How much money you want to spend?

--lifeafter2am

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
Sobe

Sobe will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4

My Sony headunit has an AUX input in the front, so I just hook my Gen 2 Nano up to the unit via that AUX input.
QUOTE Thanks
climbguy

climbguy is an unknown at this point

How's that Nano Gen 2 working for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobe
My Sony headunit has an AUX input in the front, so I just hook my Gen 2 Nano up to the unit via that AUX input.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

In the new mustang there is a line in input in the center consol, I plug my ipod into there, and select line in on the system. Amazing quality.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Sobe

Sobe will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbguy
How's that Nano Gen 2 working for you?

iLove it.

I have the 8GB Black Nano.

A++
QUOTE Thanks
playm0de

playm0de has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 20 inch iMac Core Duo

I am going to acura to see if they can install an auxilary port...or maybe just buy a new radio.
QUOTE Thanks
groggy23

groggy23 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core Duo 2Ghz 20", MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 13"

Auxillary would be your best connection. Stay away from FM transmitters, and like thereof. Bluetooth from Scosche is not that bad either if you want to go wireless. But again nothing can really beat the sound quality of Y-cable RCA's direct to your stereo. I haven't tried the direct connection for iPod's for iPod-ready cars yet, but I assume the quality is like RCA.
QUOTE Thanks
gort

gort is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema

http://mp3yourcar.com/
QUOTE Thanks
shipsupt

shipsupt will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core 2 Duo, 2.33 GHz, 24", 64G 3G iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by groggy23
"Stay away from FM transmitters, and like thereof."
I could not agree more... but if you have an old stereo without hard connections to make, or if you are wanting to use in other peoples cars you can get away with the FM transmitters, they just lack the quality and inteference is always an issue.

A buddy of mine tried a cheap version of this unit he purchased from Cosco, big mistake. It was like the unit was never quite tuned right so you never got a clear broadcast.

I first used a Belkin model that had four channels to select from. Very companct and ran on batteries. It worked "OK" but I was always trying to find one of the four channels with the least inteference (Ussually a stronger signal on or close to the selected frequency). The other problem is that I'd always seem to forget to shut it off and run the batteries down!

I later tried a more cradle like unit that plugged into the 12VDC power point. Now I didn't have to worry about the batteries and it charged my iPod. It also set the unit up for easy access while I was driving. The real added bonus to this model was that it allowed me to choose whatever FM frequency I wanted to transmit on throughout the band. It was much easier to find a frequency that did not have a strong signal on it and allow a much bettter transmission without inteference.

As luck would have it, if you surf to this Bestbuy page you'll see the two units I had. The first is the small Belkin, at only $10 it's a pretty cheap and painless solution, just not the best. The second down is the DLO unit I had. I'd be guessing there are better units out there now...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....cat33100050012

Another tip if you have to go this road, see if your antenae is easily removable. It's not needed for the close in broadcasting you are doing and it will reduce the signals you are picking up from outside the vehicle.

I've since moved on to a hard wired set up in my vehicle and of course it really is the way to go if you can.

shipsupt
QUOTE Thanks
CWMac

I picked up a Griffin iTrip for £10 the other day and while id agree the quality of sound it is a cheap(&nasty?) way of getting sounds into the car without paying out a couple of hundred on a cd player with jacks etc.
OF course doesnt help when your car is a tempramental frenchy that has dashboard display and refuses to work with after market stereos lol.
QUOTE Thanks
init6

Just to chime in, I use a Griffin iTrip and it works fine for me. On the other hand, if I lived in a major city (my city is populous, but it's not as crowded as Orlando, for example, though we can receive all of their broadcasts), it may have been crowded out.

I'm able to use 97.7FM without many problems. Occasionally if I'm next to a vehicle that has a radio (bus, commercial truck, etc) I get some interference, but for my daily commute to school and back it works fine.

Being a bit of an audiophile I'll likely grab the Harman-Kardon kit, or maybe I'll just upgrade my car stereo to one with iPod support.

But for the $50 I spent on my iTrip it gets the job done and keeps me rockin' to and from college each day.
QUOTE Thanks
brianj08

brianj08 will become famous soon enough

check out this company. blitzsafe.com they sell ipod interfaces and i have one installed on my car. i love the thing. it cost about 80$ but it is worth it for the sound quality this thing generates, also was a breeze to install.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes 7 | Impressions of the new 5G iPod? »