New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Impressions of the new 5G iPod?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

WasabiTaylor

WasabiTaylor is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse

Has anyone picked up the new 5G iPod? I'm seriously considering picking one up when my area's Apple Store has it's grand-opening on Saturday. Unfortunately I haven't seen any of the big-hitters review it yet. Most have been focusing on the second generation Nano, but I've got my heart set on teh 5G. I was wondering specifically about the clarity of the videos in the new resolution and also the performance of the new headphones. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Big hitter Reviews:

iLounge. They gave it an A-.

C-Net. They gave it an 8.3/10.

Time. They gave it "gadget of the week" (which may or may not be very prestigious...)

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
WasabiTaylor

WasabiTaylor is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse

Ahhh...the taste of your own words...

Thanks man.

Still would love to hear from some Mac-Forums members though!
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

All I know is no firewire = no buy for me. Just doesn't make sense to me especially with the videos.

I hear that usb 2.0 is very fast on pc but I know it is slow on macs. FW is awesome on macs and Apple needs to cater to the loyal Apple users imo or at least compromise and give both options. That's just my two little apples on the subject!
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of

Sursociofla, I feel you on that post, but honestly after owning one and seeing the transfer times, it's not as bad as you'd think.

My transfers have been about the same speed as my Firewire iPod Mini.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Agreed with SurfWax. And USB 2.0 on the Mac is no different than USB 2.0 on the PC. USB 2.0 is USB 2.0. I have used it on both systems side by side and it works the same. I see no speed difference.

And this is coming from a LARGE fan of Firewire. I won't use anything else but Firewire for external Hard Drives unless I have to.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

Agreed with Dennis. All of my externals are Firewire (and 7200rpm).

USB2.0 is actually rated *faster* than Firewire (400 vs 480), but USB will only spike that high. It averages around 350-375 MB/s.

Don't let USB2.0 keep you from a great product, really.

QUOTE Thanks
andy_st200

andy_st200 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15, 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

the 5g is great.. unfortuanetly the headphones are as crap as ever.. one thing i think lets the ipod and apple down still. i use the decent sony in ear ones that look like little eardefenders

Line1:My Mac..
Line2:MacBook Pro 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo, 1GB 667 DDR2, 100GB Serial ATA drive (7200rpm), SuperDrive (DVD-RW/CD-RW), 15" Glossy Widescreen Display
Line3:
Line4:... born 11/09/2006
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Yep, very true but that's if you aren't using it as a disk also and that's very annoying. Snails move faster than it takes to move a few gigs of data over 2.0. But yeah if it is just for music and stuff it's all good. I use my Pod for just about everything.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

My external HD is USB 2.0 and so is my 5G iPod. Both are very quick.
I also set my iPod to disk mode. I don't notice any difference in speed between it and when I had a 3G iPod transferring over FireWire.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Jem

Jem will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasabiTaylor
I was wondering specifically about the clarity of the videos in the new resolution...
New resolution? Did I miss something? I thought it was just a brighter display?
QUOTE Thanks
slyseeker

slyseeker has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB

^^ The resolution stays the same, and you're right, brighter display.

I just bought a 8GB nano, transferred 1.5GB worth of music right there in the store (5th Ave), I was outta there in no time!
QUOTE Thanks
JonathanB

I just bought mine the other day. The picture is great, especially for videos, it look's awsome. The headphones tend to hurt my ear sometimes though cause they dont fit right, or maybe I just have a weird ear, I don't know. Sound is good, games look great. For some reason is seems it's much more scratch resistant on the front side too.
QUOTE Thanks
groggy23

groggy23 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core Duo 2Ghz 20", MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 13"

slyseeker, was it by chance datavision on 5th ave? That's where I got my 1st ed 5G. As far the firewire/usb 2.0 thing. Its really not THAT slow. Sure firewire is quicker, **** I use it for when I transfer big files from mac to mac instead of wireless. I sure don't mind the wait to transfer larger amounts of data to my iPod, I only do it every so often. I haven't really had one of the new ones in my hand since my local Apple store doesn't have some in yet. But once they do I'll defenitely check 'em out and compare. To me the only major differences I see is brighter display and lower prices, oh and of course the 80gb model..
QUOTE Thanks
gort

gort is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema

I just sold my original iPod video on ebay and got a brand new one. It's great, the search feature is nifty too.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPod in the car | iPod formatting itself? »