New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

30 Gig Video Backlighting?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cvclover

I dont get it, on every iPod I've ever had, holding down the Menu for 3 seconds lit up the backlight making it very easy to navigate in the dark.

The 30 gig no longer does this? Holding menu only brings me back to the menu... and unless I set it to turning on for 2 seconds whenever I touch it, I can't use the backlight in the dark? I don't want to set it to 2 seconds because thats battery life that I am wasting when I dont need it...
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

It's not the iPod, its the firmware. In the latest firmware apple decided to remove that functionality from all of the iPods that it updated

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
cvclover

well is anyone else experiencing my frustration or is it just me? if its pitch black, I cant navigate anymore. unless of course I have it set to turn on even when I dont need it...
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
It's not the iPod, its the firmware. In the latest firmware apple decided to remove that functionality from all of the iPods that it updated
Do you know why apple decided to do this?

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4
Do you know why apple decided to do this?
Not a clue. I just have the backlight on 2 seconds. I hit a playlist, lock the iPod and am usually set until I am ready to turn it off so it never really bothered me

QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Can cvclover downgrade to a previous firmware version and recover the backlight functionality he/she prefers, what would be the downside?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

I don't think there is anyway to downgrade firmware

QUOTE Thanks
Affinity Gauge

Affinity Gauge is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: dual 2.7ghz g5 2.5megs ram 533gigs HD, TiBook g4 1ghz 768ram

you usually cant downgrade firmware
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

If you still have a copy of the older Firmware updater app, you can restore the iPod using that and you'll have the feature back again.

I missed it at first, but I've always found the colour models tricky to use without a backlight, so I just set it to something low (5 seconds) and forget about it.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
If you still have a copy of the older Firmware updater app, you can restore the iPod using that and you'll have the feature back again.
Is this the equivalent of firmware downgrading.....? :ninja:
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Sort of, you'll have the older firmware back, so you have downgraded. But it involves wiping the iPod blank first.

But it definitely is possible to jump up & down between firmware version on the iPod - you'll obviously loose any new features though (Volume limit functionality I think).
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Sort of, you'll have the older firmware back, so you have downgraded. But it involves wiping the iPod blank first.

But it definitely is possible to jump up & down between firmware version on the iPod - you'll obviously loose any new features though (Volume limit functionality I think).
And there's the possibility the older firmware won't be able to play AAC's?

Are there 2 options? - upgrade, restore, and isn't it only the upgrade which wipes the iPod's drive?
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8

Are there 2 options? - upgrade, restore, and isn't it only the upgrade which wipes the iPod's drive?
No, the oldest firmware for a video iPod definitely supports AAC, since my 3G iPod supports AAC, there might be older ones even...

The features lost will by small minor things, and some issues fixed. Unless he's experiencing some issue he needn't really upgrade.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8

No. Upgrade doesn't wipe it, restore does

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DJ Mixed CD's | any suggestions on damaged iPod cord »