New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

nano trouble

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sevenkay

ok. brand new 2gb ipod nano. got it with my mac a couple of weeks ago. i just now opened it. i put in the cd and install the ipod update thing. i plug in the nano. nothing happens. it does not show up on my desktop or in itunes and i cannot turn the nano on, even when i try and reset it. i've held the center button, the center + menu button, the center + play button. everything. and no, hold is not on.

it's not my mac. i plugged in my other nano and it worked fine. i just can't turn my new nano on. help please!

also, when i plug the nano up to my mac, nothing happens. i mean, nothing at all shows up on the nano screen. it just stays blank.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

From what I can recall, when you connect your Nano via USB it lauches iTunes automatically.

You should contact the place of purchase and get a new one, I don't even know if they repair Nano's or simply replace them as the need arises.

Hope things work out.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Two thoughts:
(1) is the "function lock" slider at the top of the Nano slide over to the lock side? If so, it will ignore your attempts to turn it on
(2) Is the battery completely discharged? Have you either put it on charge for an hour or so (if you have a charger) or just plugged it into a USB 2.0 port and let it sit for an hour or so? I note that when my Nano is totally discharged, it takes 5 minutes or so on charge before it begins to "wake up" and start to act normally.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
sevenkay

i have not let it sit for an hour or so. but even if the battery is totally discharged, shouldn't i see some icon on my mac/itunes/nano when i connect it to my mac?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Certainly on mine, the answer is no. When I run the battery flat, it takes quite a while for it to pick up enough charge from the USB link to start to register life signs. I was really worried the first time I did it - I plugged the iPod in and nothing happened! I was afraid I had killed it. But, I left it there, and about 5 minutes later it sprang to life. I think it must take a fair amount of power to connect to the Mac - this requires running the iPod's CPU, USB link and whatever link transfer hardware it has. It may need to build up a minimal charge first. Anyway it does work, and mine behaves this way every time. Try it out - it may work for you. You may also have a dud iPod on your hands, but try this first before you give up.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Logan

when i bought my nano i plugged it in to my mac mini (mac mini was bought like 2-3 months earlier) and it automatically booted up itunes and was off.

I still haven't installed the iTunes CD on it. Some times I may drain it to absolute minimum-ness and if I tap F11 (show desktop) i always see the sucker on my desktop as a drive... (I turned off the auto-start iTunes option, since I use my iPod as a hard drive too)
QUOTE Thanks
greyS60

greyS60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenkay
i have not let it sit for an hour or so. but even if the battery is totally discharged, shouldn't i see some icon on my mac/itunes/nano when i connect it to my mac?
When mine is completely discharged, I see nothign when I plug it in. I have to let it sit and then it will function normally.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Videos wont load to iPod | iPod (G5) trouble.... »