New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iTunes and converting mp3 to ACC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macunkie

I have a somewhat large collection of audio in my iTunes Library. A little over 4000 tunes (17+gbs). Alot of these files are in mp3 format. I know iTunes can convert these to ACC, but the problem is that it duplicates the mp3 file into an acc. Does anybody know of a way to get iTunes NOT to leave the original mp3 after conversion? Is there any command line utilities out there that will convert my entire library?

Thanks,
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Generally speaking cross-conversion is a bad idea:

You are taking one lossy codec and running another one over it, which will result in slightly smaller file sizes but much worse audio degradation.

I'd either re-rip the entire library or leave it as it is, unless you specifically NEED the files in aac format.
QUOTE Thanks
macunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Generally speaking cross-conversion is a bad idea:

You are taking one lossy codec and running another one over it, which will result in slightly smaller file sizes but much worse audio degradation.

I'd either re-rip the entire library or leave it as it is, unless you specifically NEED the files in aac format.
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that cross-conversion would result in audio degradation. I'll just leave them alone and for future rips import as acc.

Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

yeah, or if you're that concerned about hd space, get an external hard drive. I have a HUGE music library (something like 25 gigs?) and I'm only through "D" in my CD collection. I mean, I have like 12.5 gigs of U2 alone, but thank god my iMac has a 160 gig hard drive.

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
macunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindingLights
yeah, or if you're that concerned about hd space, get an external hard drive. I have a HUGE music library (something like 25 gigs?) and I'm only through "D" in my CD collection. I mean, I have like 12.5 gigs of U2 alone, but thank god my iMac has a 160 gig hard drive.
Thank you. It's not so much a "space" thing as it is a "audio quality thing" I am more concerned with. I have my current 17 gigs of audio being served and stored from my G4 PowerMac on a "audio" partion. I have an exact copy of the 17 gigs on and external Firewire 400 drive that I backup to as I add to my iTunes library. I use a simple rysnc script that I run from my terminal. I simply issue the command, : sudo itunesbackup and it auto copies and deletes, (updates) to my Firewire. I'm just going to stick to acc formatt for future imports in the future.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes and Featured Artists | AVI file to MP4!? »