New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod not a device

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kheiderman

kheiderman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP OS10.9.3 Intel core i7 8GB 1333 MHZ DDR3 iPhone 4 30GB ipod 160 Gb iPod

My iPod doesn't show up as a device in iTunes. Running Mavericks on a MacBook Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Hello - please provide some additional information: 1) What iPod & MBPro do you own; 2) What Mavericks version in installed; 3) What iTunes version are you using; and 4) Has the iPod synced previously to this computer, and if so, have you recently updated the OS, iOS, or iTunes? Might help the members respond more specifically. Also, check this Apple Support Article for other suggestions. Dave
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Did you just connect it and it wasn't there ?? Try closing down iTunes then connect iPod and then open up iTunes and see if its available.
Is the Cable you have a working one ?? They are fragile pieces of wire (I've just bought 2 more Lightening Connector cables, because both mine stopped charging), so make sure that works as well. A little bit of fault finding goes a long way, and on top of what Dave above has posted, tell us what you have tried already to root the problem out.
Also, see if it comes up in Disk Utility as a Disk when connected. If it does there, and not in iTunes there could be more amiss.

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
kheiderman

Mac Specs: MBP OS10.9.3 Intel core i7 8GB 1333 MHZ DDR3 iPhone 4 30GB ipod 160 Gb iPod

RadDave, thanks for responding.
1. Two iPod classics, one 30GB, one 160GB. The MacBook Pro is a 15" 2.2 GHz, Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3. 2. Mavericks OS X 10.9.3. 3. iTunes 11.2.2 (3) 64 bit. 4. Yes. But then updated to Mavericks and had to install a new hard drive. 5. Updated all and continue to regularly. The Apple Support link responded as, "Can't find support page location, return to Apple Support."
QUOTE Thanks
kheiderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Did you just connect it and it wasn't there ?? Try closing down iTunes then connect iPod and then open up iTunes and see if its available.
Is the Cable you have a working one ?? They are fragile pieces of wire (I've just bought 2 more Lightening Connector cables, because both mine stopped charging), so make sure that works as well. A little bit of fault finding goes a long way, and on top of what Dave above has posted, tell us what you have tried already to root the problem out.
Also, see if it comes up in Disk Utility as a Disk when connected. If it does there, and not in iTunes there could be more amiss.
The logo appears briefly, then fades out. It does not appear in the Device menu and is not recognized in Disk Utility. It is featured to eject on the iTunes tool bar.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple not giving up on iPod just yet? | Transfer music from old iPod to new Macbook »