New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Transfer music from old iPod to new Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

juleshoward1

juleshoward1 is on a distinguished road

Apple support tells me that I cannot transfer music from an iPod that I used with a mac that I no longer have. (The iPod is filled with music from CDs that I used to have). When I read online, it states that it is possible and there is freeware to do it. I have tried to freeware programs with no luck. Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

As Apple stated there is no (legal according to apples policies) way to do this as a standard. Yes there are freeware apps out there that can do it, but not something probably to be discussed on this forum.
They stop the ability of being able to transfer music from an ipod, iphone etc as a copyright measure.

Hope this at least helps explain the situation.

- Simon

p.s welcome to the forums

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by juleshoward1 View Post
Apple support tells me that I cannot transfer music from an iPod that I used with a mac that I no longer have. (The iPod is filled with music from CDs that I used to have). When I read online, it states that it is possible and there is freeware to do it. I have tried to freeware programs with no luck. Any suggestions?
You can legally transfer music you paid for that's on your iPod to your Mac and into iTunes. There is software which allows this type of reverse syncing but it's not free. I don't know of any free Mac software which works but there might be.

You can try "Senuti" but it's not free. ($18.00)
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Rod Sprague is a jewel in the roughRod Sprague is a jewel in the roughRod Sprague is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.9.4, iMac 2.5 gHz OS 10.6, iPhone 4 iOS 7, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2

Try PodTrans, it has been recommended to me but I have not tried it personally and it's free. I dont think you are contravening any copyright laws transferring media you own or previously purchased after all you've already copied them.

RodS Don't forget to click on the permalink (top right corner) if you were helped by a post in this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
kheiderman

kheiderman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP OS10.9.3 Intel core i7 8GB 1333 MHZ DDR3 iPhone 4 30GB ipod 160 Gb iPod

I did the Senuti thing when my hard drive died. Now iTunes will recognize my iPod but won't synch it with current playlists etc. But I did get the music off of it and into the new hard drive. Too bad there's not an Apple approved way of doing this as I too had loaded a lot of music from personal CD's I had purchased.
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Rod Sprague is a jewel in the roughRod Sprague is a jewel in the roughRod Sprague is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.9.4, iMac 2.5 gHz OS 10.6, iPhone 4 iOS 7, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheiderman View Post
I did the Senuti thing when my hard drive died. Now iTunes will recognize my iPod but won't synch it with current playlists etc. But I did get the music off of it and into the new hard drive. Too bad there's not an Apple approved way of doing this as I too had loaded a lot of music from personal CD's I had purchased.
If you restore your iPod to factory settings, assuming everything on it is now in iTunes you can sync it with your current iTunes library.

RodS Don't forget to click on the permalink (top right corner) if you were helped by a post in this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
danipoak

danipoak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You can legally transfer music you paid for that's on your iPod to your Mac and into iTunes. There is software which allows this type of reverse syncing but it's not free. I don't know of any free Mac software which works but there might be.

You can try "Senuti" but it's not free. ($18.00)
There actually are free solutions. Senuti was published as open source software up to a time until they decided to go closed source and try to get profit. Because of the open source license they used anyone can still legally distribute the older version. Use this link to download. Still works on Mavericks.
QUOTE Thanks
kheiderman

Mac Specs: MBP OS10.9.3 Intel core i7 8GB 1333 MHZ DDR3 iPhone 4 30GB ipod 160 Gb iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
If you restore your iPod to factory settings, assuming everything on it is now in iTunes you can sync it with your current iTunes library.
I restored my iPod Classic to factory settings. It is recognized only to eject. The logo for the iPod will only appear quickly, then fade out. It is not listed in the device menu and does not appear in disk utility. And it does not synch.
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheiderman View Post
I restored my iPod Classic to factory settings. It is recognized only to eject. The logo for the iPod will only appear quickly, then fade out. It is not listed in the device menu and does not appear in disk utility. And it does not synch.
I seem to recall something about the iPod Classic needing to be plugged into a wall charger after restore to complete the process, plugging it into a computer is not the same. Did you try this?

QUOTE Thanks
kheiderman

Quote:
I seem to recall something about the iPod Classic needing to be plugged into a wall charger after restore to complete the process, plugging it into a computer is not the same. Did you try this?
I charge with an apparatus that's part of my home theater surround, its not a computer. I'm doing it now. I'll try just about anything at this point. Thanks for your reply.
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

For some reason I can't remember now I think it has to be an Apple iPod wall charger.

QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

What does the screen on the iPod show? Anything?

QUOTE Thanks
kheiderman

Quote:
What does the screen on the iPod show? Anything?
The iPod works fine. The screen shows the CD cover of whatever is playing or photos etc. it just won't synch with iTunes. I can't load any new material in it. The recharge unit was never an issue before.
QUOTE Thanks
CanuckBoater

CanuckBoater will become famous soon enough

I'm on this thread because I want to purchase an Ipod as a "back-up" to my Macbook Itunes. The issue is restoring the the playlists and folders - I have the itunes purchased and original CD's, but it's a pain to recreate the playlists.

The theory was, in case my Macbook is damaged or lost, I have a working back-up that I can 'restore' to my next Macbook.

This thread and the (in)ability to restore from an Ipod is making me re-think the Ipod purchase.

Is the Ipod a practical 'back-up" solution?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Is the Ipod a practical 'back-up" solution?
Not in my opinion. I think a better backup solution would be to use an external hard drive for all your iTunes purchases and playlists. Of course you can't "play" an external hard as you can an iPod Classic, but it would be safer and much less expensive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPod not a device | Transferring Photos from IPad to Mackbook »