New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Which ipod is best for kids?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
usingmac

 
Member Since: Nov 11, 2012
Posts: 85
usingmac is an unknown at this point

usingmac is offline
My 10 year old wants an ipod and I'm trying to decide between a new shuffle and maybe a used nano (I don't want to spend $150 or whatever it is a new one costs). I have some questions. First, how does the shuffle work when it doesn't have a display? I read something about a voice-over feature but don't get how that would work. Second, if we get a used nano, what would be the oldest we'd want? What generation are they on now anyway? I'm concerned the battery would be old and not last long if we buy one used.

As far as what my child needs, it's really just for songs. I don't think my child will need all the bells and whistles that come on the newer ones. I've been using a 1st generation one for years and it's just fine.

Any advice?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 39,381
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

chscag is online now
In my opinion, don't buy a Nano. I've been through 3 of them, two being 5th generation and one 4th generation. The problem with them is the battery. With luck, a new Nano's battery may last two years. (Apple charges $69 to replace the battery.) Replacing it yourself is difficult task.

The Shuffle is limited to 2 GB which is plenty for a 10 year old and buying a new one is only $49 compared to $149 or $129 for the Nano. And yes, it does have voice over.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

 
Lifeisabeach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 6,909
Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Lifeisabeach is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by usingmac View Post
My 10 year old wants an ipod and I'm trying to decide between a new shuffle and maybe a used nano (I don't want to spend $150 or whatever it is a new one costs). I have some questions. First, how does the shuffle work when it doesn't have a display? I read something about a voice-over feature but don't get how that would work. Second, if we get a used nano, what would be the oldest we'd want? What generation are they on now anyway? I'm concerned the battery would be old and not last long if we buy one used.

As far as what my child needs, it's really just for songs. I don't think my child will need all the bells and whistles that come on the newer ones. I've been using a 1st generation one for years and it's just fine.

Any advice?
As for how the Shuffle works:
Apple - Colorful iPod shuffle with VoiceOver, playlists, and more.
The VoiceOver feature doesn't listen for you to say things. You press a button to have it the song title and other information.

The Shuffle is great for joggers and gym goers who want to minimize weight and distractions. For a child, you are probably better off going with an iPod nano. Get the newest one you can afford, especially if you are concerned about the battery life. The current model is the 7th generation. I would probably avoid the 6th generation of iPod nano, chiefly because of the size (easier to lose) and it just looks awkward. That means you probably should look at the 5th gen iPod nano. You are looking at $50-$60 for an 8 GB version on eBay.
https://support.apple.com/kb/ht1353


Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
alicepattinson

 
alicepattinson's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 28, 2013
Posts: 132
alicepattinson can only hope to improve

alicepattinson is offline
If you want the best, choose iPod Touch your kid would really love it especially for games games and all games. hehehe
QUOTE Thanks
usingmac

 
Member Since: Nov 11, 2012
Posts: 85
usingmac is an unknown at this point

usingmac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
As for how the Shuffle works:
Apple - Colorful iPod shuffle with VoiceOver, playlists, and more.
The VoiceOver feature doesn't listen for you to say things. You press a button to have it the song title and other information.

The Shuffle is great for joggers and gym goers who want to minimize weight and distractions. For a child, you are probably better off going with an iPod nano. Get the newest one you can afford, especially if you are concerned about the battery life. The current model is the 7th generation. I would probably avoid the 6th generation of iPod nano, chiefly because of the size (easier to lose) and it just looks awkward. That means you probably should look at the 5th gen iPod nano. You are looking at $50-$60 for an 8 GB version on eBay.
https://support.apple.com/kb/ht1353
How long could I expect the battery to last? Any warranties with these things?
QUOTE Thanks
usingmac

 
Member Since: Nov 11, 2012
Posts: 85
usingmac is an unknown at this point

usingmac is offline
I was also wondering when they phased out the wheels on the ipods and if I can get a link to see images of all the generations at once.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

 
Lifeisabeach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 6,909
Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Lifeisabeach is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by usingmac View Post
How long could I expect the battery to last? Any warranties with these things?
I'll have to defer to chscag's experience with that. As for warranties, they are one year, though it can be expanded to 2 years with AppleCare.

You can get a refurbished model direct from Apple and save some money, yet get a warranty. The current model is what they have:
Refurbished iPod nano 16GB - 1-Year Warranty - Apple Store (U.S.)

One point to consider with the iPod nano... the 5th gen model is also the only model with a camera. If you don't want your child to have a camera, then that knocks it out of contention. If you do, then it's the only one aside from the iPod touch.


Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

 
rabbitjetta's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 08, 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 940
rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

rabbitjetta is offline
I loved my nano it was built like a tank and I had a shuffle both are great. It all depends on the space needed and what they want the iPod for.
QUOTE Thanks
usingmac

 
Member Since: Nov 11, 2012
Posts: 85
usingmac is an unknown at this point

usingmac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
I'll have to defer to chscag's experience with that. As for warranties, they are one year, though it can be expanded to 2 years with AppleCare.

You can get a refurbished model direct from Apple and save some money, yet get a warranty. The current model is what they have:
Refurbished iPod nano 16GB - 1-Year Warranty - Apple Store (U.S.)

One point to consider with the iPod nano... the 5th gen model is also the only model with a camera. If you don't want your child to have a camera, then that knocks it out of contention. If you do, then it's the only one aside from the iPod touch.
Thanks for the insight about the 6th generation. Again, is there a site where I can see them all side by side and compare them? Also, is it safe to buy one (regarding battery life) on Ebay or Amazon (which is better)? While I can get a warranty from Apple for their used stuff, I will probably be paying a lot more.

By the way, I think my child would really like the camera feature. How many of the nanos have this?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 39,381
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

chscag is online now
Quote:
Also, is it safe to buy one (regarding battery life) on Ebay or Amazon (which is better)? While I can get a warranty from Apple for their used stuff, I will probably be paying a lot more.

By the way, I think my child would really like the camera feature. How many of the nanos have this?
Stay away from eBay. You may be able to buy used on Amazon as it seems their 3rd party re-sellers are more reliable. As for the camera, only the latest Nano has one as pointed out by member lifeisabeach.

I'll issue this warning again... The battery on the Nano is the downside of buying one as it wears out quickly and is expensive to replace. If you buy a used Nano you will have no idea how much life is left in its battery. And unless you're willing to pay Apple $69 to replace it for you......
QUOTE Thanks
usingmac

 
Member Since: Nov 11, 2012
Posts: 85
usingmac is an unknown at this point

usingmac is offline
Thanks for the advice!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

 
Lifeisabeach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 6,909
Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Lifeisabeach is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by usingmac View Post
Again, is there a site where I can see them all side by side and compare them?
One of my links earlier does have photos, but not side-by-side. Need something different? Well I suppose I could Google that for you. Here, Let me google that for you.

Quote:
By the way, I think my child would really like the camera feature. How many of the nanos have this?
I addressed this earlier. The 5th gen iPod nano is the only nano with a camera.


Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
bsawer

 
Member Since: Aug 13, 2013
Location: LA
Posts: 8
bsawer is on a distinguished road

bsawer is offline
Nano is not a good choice for kids I think, ipod touch seems nice
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 39,381
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

chscag is online now
I hate to say it, but the Nano is not a good choice for anyone - at least not the newer ones. The battery life is dismal and the battery expensive to replace. I recommend staying away from it if you're in the market for an iPod.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

 
chas_m's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 22, 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 16,619
chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

chas_m is offline
Unless this child is highly unusual, he or she is going to lose it in a month anyway ...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« hard drive capacity | ipod mini partition table »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?