Specs:
    Mac Mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz C2D CPU, 4GB RAM, 2x500GB HDD) - iPad Air (4G, 16GB) - iPhone SE (64GB)
    Question Will Apple release a 7th gen iPod classic this year or just kill the line altogether?
    The 6th generation model has been around for quite a while now (about 6 years, to be exact), and I've recently decided to purchase one; but now I'm starting to worry that if I get one just before WWDC '13 they'll finally release an improved next-gen version, or if I don't they'll just stop producing them & I'll not be able to nab one before they're all sold-out...

I know I'm probably just over-thinking things, and they'll almost certainly do neither; but 199 is a fair bit of outlay for a student like myself & so I want to be sure I'm getting the best value for money possible, without missing-out on what I want to purchase...

Any insights from those more well-versed in determining the optimal time for purchasing Apple gear would be appreciated
    For my purposes as an engineering graduate; Windows is respectable (& generally necessary), Linux is admirable (& often useful), OS X is enjoyable (& requires no further justification, although plenty could be given)!

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    I wouldn't expect any iPod news at WWDC, and even if there was any news t wouldn't be about the iPod classic I imagine..I doubt they'd keep the HDD based version around for too long, better to offer a larger flash based version..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    [QUOTE=Raz0rEdge;1518798... better to offer a larger flash based version..[/QUOTE]

better... as in, more profitable
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    Mac Mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz C2D CPU, 4GB RAM, 2x500GB HDD) - iPad Air (4G, 16GB) - iPhone SE (64GB)
    Arrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    I wouldn't expect any iPod news at WWDC, and even if there was any news t wouldn't be about the iPod classic I imagine..
    Of course the classic is a little old-hat to make a big deal out of now, but when Apple have upgraded or killed some of their B-list products before now they have tended to do so while doing big reveals & those "minor" changes have gotten lost in all the noise...

I doubt they'd keep the HDD based version around for too long
    I agree... Hence why I'm asking if people think that the classic's time may have finally come with this upcoming WWDC

Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    better... as in, more profitable
    Yeah! Too right...

'sall 'bout the these days...
    For my purposes as an engineering graduate; Windows is respectable (& generally necessary), Linux is admirable (& often useful), OS X is enjoyable (& requires no further justification, although plenty could be given)!

Specs:
    Apple has been keeping the WWDC traditionally focused on their Macs, iOS and OS X and to some extent the iPhone. But the music-centric products seem to get their own reveal/shows..so I wouldn't expect to hear anything at all about the iPods in particular at WWDC..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Specs:
    Thumbs up
    Apple has been keeping the WWDC traditionally focused on their Macs, iOS and OS X and to some extent the iPhone. But the music-centric products seem to get their own reveal/shows..so I wouldn't expect to hear anything at all about the iPods in particular at WWDC..
    So, basically; I can leave getting it for now (bit strapped for cash until next week), but if I do get one then it's unlikely that a better one will be coming-out any time soon after (if ever)? Ok, thanks

Specs:
    Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.. If people clamor of more storage to match the 160GB available from the iPod classic, I imagine that they might increase the storage of the iPod Touch or iPod Nano to deal with it..HDD is dead..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Specs:
    15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
    I want a 256GB iPod Touch.
    "It's got to come from the heart, if you want it to work."
    Guy Clark

Light Craftsman website

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Have you considered the alternative option of cloud storage for your tunes? iTunes Match, Amazon, that sort of thing?

Sure, it's "only" 25,000 songs (*plus* any you've purchased from iTunes in the case of iTunes Match), but that's probably enough to tide you over for the week ...

There's a small fee involved, but it's modest and annual and IMO reasonable for the service (plus, the artist makes additional money as part of the fee goes to them). Oh, and you get iTunes Radio (when it arrives this fall) ad-free as part of that. Best deal going if you ask me, but for Android people or for an alternative you also have Google's and Amazon's lockers as options.

The iTunes Match has give me a far bigger "iPod" than I would otherwise have available, though I understand that really HUGE music collections this might not work for them ... but really, how many distinct songs do you actually listen to in, say, a year?

Specs:
    Arrow
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    Have you considered the alternative option of cloud storage for your tunes? iTunes Match, Amazon, that sort of thing?

Sure, it's "only" 25,000 songs (*plus* any you've purchased from iTunes in the case of iTunes Match), but really, how many distinct songs do you actually listen to in, say, a year?
    I do make some use of such music storage/streaming services & other cloud-based file storage (Dropbox & Ubuntu One are my personal favourites), but - call me old fashioned - I want something that provides immediate and complete access to my music no matter where I am, with or without an active internet connection (same reason why I'd never buy a ChromeBook; even though I do think they're nifty little devices for the money in theory, they're too reliant on a resource not available everywhere to work properly in practice).

Also - while the iPhone does have a slightly longer battery life than the iPod classic - I already have a phone, an iPad or iPad mini would not be practical for my use; and, besides, I don't want to pay a separate data contract for a second online device.

Finally, there's the fact that I'll be using this in my car as well as when walking; so I'll want something which I can skip tracks on blindly with a click of the scroll-wheel, and that can shuffle through literally thousands of tracks to give me a unique play list with every journey (hence why I'm looking at the iPod classic with its huge internal storage & Genius Mixes capability, rather than some cheaper - but much smaller - push-button operated MP3 player from another company).

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    My actual guess to the question you posed in your threat title is "neither." I think Apple will keep on making the iPod Classic as-is until demand falls off to an unjustifiable point.

Specs:
    My actual guess to the question you posed in your threat title is "neither." I think Apple will keep on making the iPod Classic as-is until demand falls off to an unjustifiable point.
    Fair point, that makes sense...

iPod Classic
    Living half the time on the Canadian West Coast, cloud storage works fine. The other half of my time is in the rural north of England where data phone coverage is terrible and old stone houses require power line adapters and multiple wireless access points just to get WiFi all over the house. Mobile music means an iPod Classic for sure.

Thread Information