New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

iPod classic still value for money?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ctrl-Opt-Del

Ctrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really nice
Mac Specs: Not got one, yet...

Obviously, in terms of storage the iPod classic is by far and away one of the "biggest" players, and the best value in terms of GBs per (and I'm pretty sure that inlcudes all music players on the market, not just the iPod range).

However, some friends I've consulted with with regard to considering purchasing one have expressed the opinion that HDD-based music players are somewhat of a "dead format", and that by purchasing one I run the risk of having a player that would fail mechanically long before the flash storage in a solid-state player wore-out.

I already have both a smartphone and a tablet that more than adequately serve my mobile computing needs, so the sophistication of a (5th or 4th generation) iPod touch would be wasted upon me given the far higher cost; I really do just want something to play music on and maybe watch the occasional video while taking long bus journeys (which I hardly ever do; I mainly walk or drive, and the physically-clickable scrollwheel which I could tap to skip tracks in a playlist without taking my eyes off the road is one of the things I like about the classic compared to most music players which one has to look at to change tracks, either due to touchscreen controls or tiny buttons).

Thus, I am left debating with myself whether to purchse the classic, or to accept a full 90% reduction in capacity - for only a ~35% reduction in price - and go with the nano.

Any wisdom & insight will be much appreciated

For my purposes as an engineering undergraduate; Windows is respectable (& generally necessary), Linux is admirable (& often useful), OS X is enjoyable (& requires no further justification, although plenty could be given)!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Thus, I am left debating with myself whether to purchse the classic, or to accept a full 90% reduction in capacity - for only a ~35% reduction in price - and go with the nano.
Go with the Classic. In my humble opinion, the Nano is overrated and overpriced. I have had four of them, two are on the shelf because they failed, one is still barely working, and the other (an older one) works OK. The touch screen is difficult to use, hard to see, and not something you would want to use while driving.
QUOTE Thanks
Ctrl-Opt-Del

Ctrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really nice
Mac Specs: Not got one, yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Go with the Classic. In my humble opinion, the Nano is overrated and overpriced
Must admit I thought the same of the nano (and definitely of the shuffle), it was only my friends' scaremongering about the old storage tech in the classics that made me wary; but, thinking about it, with every computer I've ever owned the HDD usually outlived the rest of the machine & ended-up as a secondary or back-up drive for the next one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
The touch screen is difficult to use, hard to see, and not something you would want to use while driving.
Oh, don't worry; even if I had've gone with the nano, I'd not've tried to use the touchscreen while I was driving! I'd've just accepted the luck of the draw in a randomly shuffled playlist. That'll not be a concern though, I am gonna go with the classic; I think it'll be a good investment

For my purposes as an engineering undergraduate; Windows is respectable (& generally necessary), Linux is admirable (& often useful), OS X is enjoyable (& requires no further justification, although plenty could be given)!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Sold my iPod 4-5 yrs ago - 80 GB 5th gen - '05 model - first one to support video.
He just mentioned to me this past week that it's still going and being used everyday.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Sold my iPod 4-5 yrs ago - 80 GB 5th gen - '05 model - first one to support video.
He just mentioned to me this past week that it's still going and being used everyday.
I have two of those, though I think they were bought in '06. Both are now in possession of my kids and despite extreme mishandling (to put it mildly) they are both still going strong. My 5th gen lived in the car full time for most of its life, connected to my iPod integration system. So, it even lived through extremes in temperature and vibration, with no issues.

I now have a 5th generation 16GB Nano in the car. In my opinion, this is the best model of the Nano they ever produced. One of the nice things about being flash-based is that this thing changes tracks much more quickly than the hard drive-based 5th gen. Other than that though, if you need a ton of storage, I can't see any downside to the Classic.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

I love my 160gb classic it's one of my favorite apple products.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
I have the 40GB version of that same one, bought in '05. Still have it today, still working, it is docked on my alarm clock. Barely holds a charge, but that's not unexpected 8 years later.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« itunes opening automatically, unwanted, changed preference? | Will Apple release a 7th gen iPod classic this year or just kill the line altogether? »