New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

SMS text with ipod touch 5g?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

andy9000

andy9000 is on a distinguished road

i'm probably going to get the new ipod touch.

I've got a question regarding SMS text apps.

I'm going to England this spring for a little over a month. Last time i went i purchased a cheap phone and topped up minutes on it. It was probably around $40 bucks total. I still have the phone so i would just have to top it up again. I used the phone to meet up with friends and relatives by texting etc.

This time however i'm thinking i could save the $40 and just text with the iPod Touch through wifi. But i have some questions about this:

-would i be able to SMS text other peoples phones or only ppl that have the same app?

- what if i'm not at a wifi location and someone texts' me? Will it queue up for when i do get a wifi connection?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy9000 View Post

-would i be able to SMS text other peoples phones or only ppl that have the same app?
You will only be able to text people with the same App.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy9000 View Post
- what if i'm not at a wifi location and someone texts' me? Will it queue up for when i do get a wifi connection?
Yes the will be queued up until you get to a WIFI connection.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

I would recommend TextFree for the texting app and it should work as long as you are on wifi.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The exception to this is iMessage. You send a text from your iPod Touch and it will go to other iPhones as SMS-style messages (not truly SMS but no other software required).

Of course, this presumes that you'd only want to talk to people with iPhones/iOS devices, and they won't be able to text you back unless you remain in Wi-Fi.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Play ipod through car my car stereo cassette player | Apple Lossless on iTunes: compressed when downloaded to iPod? »