New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod mini battery life terrible

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

umad

umad is on a distinguished road

I have the original 4GB iPod Mini. I have actually have two, but I can't find the other one.

I started using this one for different genres of music since none of my iPod's can hold my entire library.

The problem is the battery life. Browsing google, this seems to be quite common. My Mini seems to have it the worst though.

It will last about 45 minutes before running out of juice. I have Backlight off and all sounds off to save the battery.

Am I able to tear this thing apart and try to get a replacement battery? Or is this a waste of time and money.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You can change out the battery yourself in the mini. It's not that difficult to take one apart if you have the right instructions and tool. I've taken mine apart several times and even changed out the hard drive in it. The folks at ifixit have good detailed instructions on how to do it. Just be careful when taking it apart to not destroy the body. Go to iFixit: The free repair manual
QUOTE Thanks
umad

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You can change out the battery yourself in the mini. It's not that difficult to take one apart if you have the right instructions and tool. I've taken mine apart several times and even changed out the hard drive in it. The folks at ifixit have good detailed instructions on how to do it. Just be careful when taking it apart to not destroy the body. Go to iFixit: The free repair manual
good link thanks.

Is it worth it to buy a new battery though? I don't want another dud.

Not sure if I should look on eBay. Could get a crud battery like mine.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure how much a new battery would cost but trying to replace an original mini can be expensive. I know because I looked around on eBay when I was replacing the hard drive on mine and the prices they were asking were just plain crazy. The folks at ifixit may stock the battery, of that I'm not sure.

You can also try the Powerbook Medic site: Mac Repair - Mac Parts and Service for Apple Macbook, iPhone, iPad
QUOTE Thanks
umad

another good site. I will consider a replacement battery. Looks like it would be about $10 total after shipping.

I'd like to find my silver Mini. I stopped using both of these because I remember they had a problem. I am guessing the silver one has the exact same poor battery life.
QUOTE Thanks
umad

you actually put an SD card inside the mini? How is that possible with the hardware?

SD cards are extremely cheap, I passed on a few good sales already. Could I do that with my Nano or iPod touch?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

The two things that break a mini are:

1. Battery goes dead

2. The miniature hard drive dies

The battery is easy to replace. The hard drive almost impossible to find and expensive but it can be replaced by an SD card of the same size or larger. That's how I brought mine back to life. Again, ifixit to the rescue.
QUOTE Thanks
umad

you actually put an SD card inside the mini? How is that possible with the hardware?

SD cards are extremely cheap, I passed on a few good sales already. Could I do that with my Nano or iPod touch?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

The mini uses a micro drive, which is functionally identical to compact flash. So a cf to sd adapter will work. The others... Nope

I have a ton of cf cards lying around, this could be a fun day off project. Thanks for the reminder!

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lost all my music... | Refurbed or new??? »