New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Film won't copy to iPod

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BrianL

BrianL is on a distinguished road

Hi. I've just bought a new iPod Classicv and am new to the Forum. Music has copied well from my iTunes software to the pod, but it wouldn't accept a short film in .MOV format. Not having had a powerful pod before I have no experience of film. Most grateful for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

You need to convert from .mov to a supported format. Both iTunes and Handbrake will do this.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
BrianL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
You need to convert from .mov to a supported format. Both iTunes and Handbrake will do this.
Thanks for your rapid reply. I have searched and searched iTunes Help for info on how to do this. The only directions I have found (Edit/Preferences etc.) apply only to music, but I have found nothing relating to converting video formats.
I have a second question, which I shall put on a new thread.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

The Ipod classic will only import video of a specific size

You can make a ipod copy of your movie, keep the original using Handbrake, and selecting the legacy ipod preset to get the format correct for your classic
Attached Images
File Type: png Handbrake.png (45.5 KB, 21 views)

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
BrianL

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
The Ipod classic will only import video of a specific size

You can make a ipod copy of your movie, keep the original using Handbrake, and selecting the legacy ipod preset to get the format correct for your classic
Thank you Louishen. Your reply brings up a lot of new stuff for me.
1) "The Ipod classic will only import video of a specific size". With that I presume you mean, "only up to a specific maximum size". The movie I want to copy is only 29 minutes long (it's an excerpt from the 1999 Remember Shakti concert at Montreux), so that shouldn't be a problem.
2) I have never heard of Handbreak, and will study your screenshot.
3) When you say, "You can make a ipod copy of your movie", do you mean I can do this with Handbreak? Otherwise I'm back to square one, as I am asking how I do that...

I hope all this is clear, and am grateful for the responses I am getting to these questions...
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Just go with the preset in Handbrake, the restriction on the classic is pixel size not running time

You will see that the preset makes an mp4 movie 640x352 output, that's why you should create a copy while keeping your higher resolution source video

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
BrianL

Perhaps it will help if I know what the iPod supported formats are?
QUOTE Thanks
BrianL

Thank you Dysfunction, Louishen and chas for your replies. I have taken so long in replying because I am not ready to go along the road of downloading Handbreak etc. Also, I have just installed Linux on my PC and am reluctant to download more Windows software. So I will stick with music and podcasts on my iPod for the moment and come back to your suggestions when I feel ready.

BTW, I posted the following question in a different thread, which has not received any answer yet. Can one of you help me there?
"The artwork has copied correctly from iTunes to my new iPod Classicv, and shows up in both Cover Flow and album lists, but it does now show when the music is playing. Can anyone help? Thank you"
Best regards, Brian.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPod Nano busted headphone jack | ipod touch 4g battery indicator shows incorrect information »