New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Preserving Battery Longevity

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lefty Loco

Lefty Loco is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid '10 MacBook Pro, 128GB iPhone 6, 160GB iPod Classic, 32GB iPad 4th Gen, AirPort Extreme, AppleTV

As soon as I got word that the iPod Classic was discontinued some time ago, I immediately went out and bought another for backup in case my current one dies. Now that I've completely charged it and loaded my music library onto it, what is the best way to keep it stored in order to maximize battery longevity? I've heard to store it 1/2 charged is best, but eventually it will sap down to being completely dead again, right?

Not sure if this info is pertinent, but I'm referring to the 160GB iPod Classic.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The battery in the iPod Classic is most likely a lithium ion or some variant of it and will retain it's charge pretty well. It will however lose its charge over time and if left for an extended period of time, it will be dead. However, the music will be on there no problem, so I wouldn't sweat it..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

One problem: the iPod Classic hasn't been discontinued.

Apple - iPod classic - Hold 40,000 songs in your pocket.
QUOTE Thanks
Lefty Loco

Mac Specs: Mid '10 MacBook Pro, 128GB iPhone 6, 160GB iPod Classic, 32GB iPad 4th Gen, AirPort Extreme, AppleTV

Quote:
The battery in the iPod Classic is most likely a lithium ion or some variant of it and will retain it's charge pretty well. It will however lose its charge over time and if left for an extended period of time, it will be dead. However, the music will be on there no problem, so I wouldn't sweat it..
I learned my lesson on backing up my info, so I've got my music library backed up in triplicate now. My concern is not losing my music, it's trying to keep this new spare Classic as close to brand new as possible. I'm concerned that now that I've cycled the battery once, leaving it stored for extended periods will adversely affect the overall battery life. I'm wondering if someone can tell me the best way to maintain it. Thanks

Quote:
One problem: the iPod Classic hasn't been discontinued.
Well...I am pleasantly surprised! I remember taking part in a discussion here about the discontinuation of the Classic a while back. Maybe the cries of those of us who love the Classic were heard! Whatever the case, my original question remains.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Assuming the battery technology in the iPod Classic is similar to that used in regular rechargeable batteries, 1/2 capacity is the recommended way to store them for prolonged periods. They will eventually run down to nothing, and may not respond immediately to charging, but if left alone will charge back up to 100 percent.
QUOTE Thanks
Checco

Checco has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac Mid-2011 ~ 15" MBP Mid-2012 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 5 16GB

From the Apple site:

Long-Term Storage
If you don’t plan on using your iPod touch for more than three weeks, Apple recommends that you store it with the battery charged between 50%-75% and the device completely turned off, not just put to sleep. If you store it when the battery is fully discharged, it could fall into a deep discharge state, which renders it incapable of holding any charge. Conversely, if you store it fully charged for an extended period of time, the battery may experience some loss of battery capacity, meaning it will have a shorter life. Be sure to store your device at the proper temperature.

What I understand from the above is that you should check it periodically to ensure it doesn't get totally discharged. When ready for a re-charge, adding a full charge-discharge and re-charge to 50-75% probably wouldn't hurt.
QUOTE Thanks
Lefty Loco

That makes sense...and I guess checking the Apple site for their own suggestions would have been a good idea, lol. Thanks Checco :-)
QUOTE Thanks
Checco

Checco has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac Mid-2011 ~ 15" MBP Mid-2012 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 5 16GB

pleasure!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Any idea when the new ipod is coming out/when pre-orders will be shipped. | Old IPod new computer »