New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iTunes vs 'The Firefox of Media Players'

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

adrian.wills

Don't know if this is wide knowledge yet but there's a new program touted as the Firefox of Media Players called Songbird....

It's probably got it's perks i'm sure...

Take a look at this site: http://www.songbirdnest.com/roblord/...bird_vs_itunes
and you can see it's drastically similar to that of iTunes. They go on to defend it's looks by comparing it to Web Browsers that all look the same, they're just improving on iTunes low points. That's all good and fine that they take a layout for an entire player and just tweak it but then they have the audacity to say that if someone was to copy or tweak they're idea it would be cheating.... Sounds a little hypocritical to me....

One minute it's.... "Songbird's UI and VisDe draw upon iTunes' strengths and fix its many wayward missteps. iTunes 6 arguably remains superior to its current peers but is a gathering menance long overdue for refactoring."

The next minute it's.... "We're confident that Apple and other media player developers are going to recognize and "steal" Songbird's User Experience Design innovations. Catch us if you can. "

Thought it was pretty funny.

Sorry but iTunes rules. Apple is often the innovator, rarely the immitator.
QUOTE Thanks
djlee12

djlee12 has a spectacular aura about

Bottom line. It doesn't look as good as iTunes. What people seem to no understand is the fact that what's so great about iTunes is it's complete intergration with the iPod and Mac. It's not just a music jukebox. No other program can match that.

DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
www.wattsupproductions.com
QUOTE Thanks
tandaina

tandaina is on a distinguished road

I'm looking into Songbird because my new MP3 player probably won't be an iPod. (For a variety of reasons I'll probably be buying a Meizu M6) Since iTunes refuses to play nicely with any player but iPod I won't have a choice but to switch. However I've yet to figure out if Songbird uses the right playlist file format (M3U) for the Meizu.

Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual. - Terry Pratchett
http://snowonroses.blogspot.com/
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
Since iTunes refuses to play nicely with any player but iPod I won't have a choice but to switch.
That's not completely true. I know some of the Rio players still work. My now ancient Rio 600 still works in the latest version of iTunes even.

EDIT: I downloaded Songbird to have a look at the "hype".

1) If the splash and instal screen are what the GUI looks like, it's hideous.

2) It constantly crashed when trying to read my iTunes library.

3) Nuff said.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPod Classic Rating Isn't Saving!!?? | PSP on Mac »