New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Streaming Over Network

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Teh_Fonz

I'm brand new to Mac's and OS X and even iTunes.

i was wondering if there was anyway to stream a windows SMB share over a network with iTunes.

When i try it just copies the files over. even when i have my mp3 player (an iRiver) connected it copies the files into the iTunes folder.

i even tried Windows Media Player to no Avail.

any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

if you have a network just turn on sharing in iTunes and make sure the mac is set to look for shared directories

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Teh_Fonz

Look for Shared Folders is turned on in iTunes but still when I navigate in Finder to (or in iTunes to add to the library or import) it still copies the folder over.

If I could play over the network without copying the folder that would be so awesome and I would absolutely LOVE iTunes
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Just open iTunes on both computers, make sure music sharing is enabled in the preferences and your library should appear in the playlist area on the windows pc...

(Check the sharing system preference to make sure your firewall isn't blocking the sharing).
QUOTE Thanks
Teh_Fonz

Thanks for the reply trpnmonkey41 & Aptmunich.

so i need iTunes installed on my windows PC for my Powerbook to view the Shared folders (i want my music to stay on my windows PC as it has a larger storage capacity)

Thanks for the help guys
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Yep, have iTunes on each computer, make sure the PC which has the music is set to share the music, iTunes on the Mac will detect the Windows iTunes and put it in the source list on the left so you can play the music without having it download it to your computer

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Teh_Fonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
Yep, have iTunes on each computer, make sure the PC which has the music is set to share the music, iTunes on the Mac will detect the Windows iTunes and put it in the source list on the left so you can play the music without having it download it to your computer
thanks for your help
QUOTE Thanks
Teh_Fonz

I found a way to do i without using iTunes on the Windows PC
iTunes > Preferences > Advanced
Uncheck "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library"

Works a treat. coupled with Air Tunes & Salling Clicker i am invincible.!!!
Thanks for your help guys.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« video ipod questions | Ipod NOT charging/turning on!! »