New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod won't mount or hold a charge! HELP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

faeiry

faeiry is on a distinguished road

Hello
I have had my iPod classic for about three months. I bought it as a refurb straight from the Apple uk website. Just recently it has seemingly malfunctioned as it won't hold a charge any more. When I plug it in the wall - it's fully functionable and says it's charging, but as soon as I pull the power cable out - it goes dead again. It won't mount when I plug it into the MacbookPro, or my old PowerBook. Via USB cable it shows the black screen with "charging please wait message".. but no matter how long you wait (all day) it never charges or mounts. I have also tried with a firewire cable in both machines, hoping the more power might help, and it does but not enough.. Via Firewire cable it shows as charging but the iPod remains unmounted.

Disc utility can't detect the presence of the device with either cable.

The annoying thing is I have a lot of important work data on the ipod and I'm afraid if I send it to Apple to be repaired (or replaced) as it's I assume clearly still under warranty, I will lose everything?. Can anyone offer any advice? I have tried resetting, and doing the diagnostic test - but nothing seems to work - I just can't get the thing to mount on the computer. I just need to get the data off - and then I'm happy for it to be repaired, but I am not sure how???!

If anyone can help that would be amazing.
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

Apple is going to replace it with another refurb and you will need to backup your files if possible. You can try replacing the battery yourself.
QUOTE Thanks
faeiry

Yes it's still under warranty, so that should be fine in regard to getting a replacement. But.....

Is there a way for me of getting the data off, prior to taking to the Apple Store?

And does anyone know once I take to the Apple Store, will they take it away to diagnose or will they replace it there and then?
QUOTE Thanks
faeiry

Does anyone have any experience of taking an iPod (under warranty) to an Apple Store to get a replacement?

Do they have to diagnose the problem and send it away - or will they replace it there and then?

Will you get slightly better treatment perhaps if you are girl? (fingers crossed)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Please do not start a new thread. Continue posting to the same thread as the subject is the same. Thank. (threads merged together)
QUOTE Thanks
Lightcraftsman

Lightcraftsman is a jewel in the roughLightcraftsman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13-inch 2009 MacBook Pro, 2011 iMac 21.5-inch 2.5GHz, 16GB iPad 2, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5

The hard drive on my refurb iPod Classic quit working after about six months. I took it to the Apple Store and they handed me another refurb iPod Classic after testing mine.

"It's got to come from the heart, if you want it to work."
Guy Clark

Light Craftsman website
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

Your refurb iPod is covered by 12 months warranty. If you take it to an Apple Store they will test it, likely fail it, and supply you with a service exchange. They keep the faulty iPod. If you take it to an AASP the same will happen other than they will order a replacement that will likely arrive the following working day. If you attempt to change the battery, or change it, and either the Apple Store or AASP becomes aware, they will void the warranty. Either option will mean you lose your data. If the work data is more valuable than the iPod or it's warranty, go ahead and replace the battery. Batteries usually ship with plastic tools for releasing the case.

Steve Bell
Aylesbury, UK
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ipod Touch Restore Problem | Identifying which generation »