New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod owners begin 'jack sharing'

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Source: MacMinute.com

iPod owners begin 'jack sharing'
November 21, 2003 - 13:27 EST Wired has an article today on iPod "jack sharing" -- a new phenomenon of approaching strangers and plugging your headphones into their iPod and them doing the same in hopes of finding new music. "It's very strange," said Steve Crandall, who does the sharing ritual in his New Jersey hometown. "It's almost like you're being a DJ for the other person. It's very gratifying if you see someone dancing around to the music you're listening to."

My Comments: I think this is funny, but yet so really really awesome.. maybe it'll help us get back into the community mindset. Very kewl
QUOTE Thanks
OSIRIS

A stranger plugging in to my iPod might get a little more than they bargained for with my musical interests. However, I think it's a cool idea because I'm always hearing about new bands from my friends.
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-

haha awesome. i think im gonna do this on campus. ive seen about 10 other iPoders around. itd be cool if they made short distance wi-fi on iPods, where you could stream to anyones iPod music within a 15 ft radius

QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all

Now that would be pretty smooth!
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Source: Wired.com

Feel Free to Jack Into My IPod

02:00 AM Nov. 21, 2003 PT

Dennis Lloyd, publisher of the iPodlounge, said he was only aware of jack sharing through a thread started by Crandall on the site's forums. But he liked the idea.

"With so many people plugged in these days, it's nice to hear people are actually connecting in the real world," he said. "Reach out and jack someone."

Author Douglas Rushkoff suggested that iPod sharing is a legacy of online file sharing -- essentially the same thing, except offline.

"It's kind of a stoner's ethic, really, the way you pass the joint at a Dead show," he said.

Sharing an iPod through its headphone jack is also a crude, low-tech version of what some predict is the real killer application of future iPods: transforming them into short-distance broadcasting devices by adding Bluetooth or similar radio technology, coupled with Rendezvous, an Apple-developed networking technology that allows devices to discover each other automatically.

The prospect of letting iPod users listen to each other's libraries wirelessly has sparked numerous excited forum posts on the iPodlounge and other sites.

The Register's Andrew Orlowski, for example, has suggested several times that turning an iPod into a personal micro-radio station would be "revolutionary."

"It would greatly annoy the RIAA, which would argue that it's a portable Napster," he wrote in 2002. "But ... this music-sharing appliance could have fairly dramatic social effects.... You could get promiscuous with strangers: You could pair and exchange a song on the same short bus ride. You could create short, ad hoc personal broadcasts, to anyone else with a Bluetooth iPod. You could have a 'What am I listening to?' menu option and share your choice with anyone within discoverable range."

Taking Orlowski's "what am I listening to?" option to its logical conclusion, others have suggested that files received wirelessly could be looked up automatically on Apple's iTunes Music Store when users plug their iPods into their main computer. Users would then be asked if they wanted to buy and download the tunes they heard on the road.

My Comments: Well there you go.. there is your idea in print
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-

sound awesome, but i would be warry if some stranger came up and asked "Can I jack your iPod?"

QUOTE Thanks
sKaD

sKaD is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram

when I first saw this thread i was thinking that it was a portable napster like deal, but not really. I would get annoyed if people asked to plug into my iPod (I don't actually own one) but either way, I know it would bother me.

I think it would be cool to be able to share music through iPods Apple should do it ;-) lol

sKaD
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Send iTunes Gift Certificates via USPS | Programmer aims to crack iTunes DRM »