New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Red ring of death on Classic 120gb - help !

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pedropete

Location: Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
pedropete can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

My youngest son has got the dreaded red ring of death on a little-used 2 year old iPod Classic 120gb I gave him six months ago.
He has tried the suggested procedure from Apple to escape from this but nothing is happening.
Apart from taking to an Apple dealer, is there anything else he could try please ?

Live each day as it comes - it may be your last !?
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

The "Red X in a Circle" problem, usually indicates a hard drive failure. Thats a pretty catastrophic failure for an ipod and would need a replacement hard drive, which isn't an easy job for regular consumer.

There is however, something you could try on this site:

Red x in circle - iPod Classic - iFixit

involving bashing your ipod with the sync port on a table to realign the arm.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
The "Red X in a Circle" problem, usually indicates a hard drive failure. Thats a pretty catastrophic failure for an ipod and would need a replacement hard drive, which isn't an easy job for regular consumer.

There is however, something you could try on this site:

Red x in circle - iPod Classic - iFixit

involving bashing your ipod with the sync port on a table to realign the arm.
I found this "fix" a little ridiculous sounding, but coming from iFixit, it must be valid. Read the article, and yep. This is not something I would have thought to do to a hard drive, but guess it works.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
IpodTouch4Me

IpodTouch4Me is on a distinguished road

Their is also the Red Ring Of Death on the XBOX 360 which I fixed, but because the XBOX 360 is huge, you could probably fix the iPod aswell. I don't know how to fix it though.

<3 Apple iPod Touch 4g <3
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I found this "fix" a little ridiculous sounding, but coming from iFixit, it must be valid. Read the article, and yep. This is not something I would have thought to do to a hard drive, but guess it works.
I love it! Get a bigger hammer. Reminds me of the times working on the 7 and 9 track tape drives on IBM big iron. When the drive hung up, we just gave it a good whack.

And by the way, I've changed out the hard drive in an iPod before. Not an easy job but not so difficult that anyone who can follow directions couldn't do. The bad part is the cost of the new hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I love it! Get a bigger hammer. Reminds me of the times working on the 7 and 9 track tape drives on IBM big iron. When the drive hung up, we just gave it a good whack.

And by the way, I've changed out the hard drive in an iPod before. Not an easy job but not so difficult that anyone who can follow directions couldn't do. The bad part is the cost of the new hard drive.
The Classic is pretty simple to do a drive swap on. It's not that hard to get it open.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

I have replaced a hard drives on ipods before and it is rather easy. I did try what ifixit said with slapping the ipod and it did work for a few more months before it did it again. Your best bet would be to replace the hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Haha, that's exactly what i thought when I read it.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dimensions of iPod Touch 4g box | IPod Touch 4g doubling songs and album on ipod only »