New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

updating ipod with older computer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

orion_d

orion_d is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4 Power PC 1.33 GHz, 1.5 GB

So I received an iPod Touch 3 as a gift. I'd like to update the iOS but my old iBook g4 will not support iTunes 10. Is it possible to update the iPod with iTunes 9? Thanx.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You can try but I believe your iPod Touch 3 needs iTunes 10.X in order to update the iOS. You don't have to do the updating on a Mac though. As much as I don't like recommending Windows, if you have access to a Windows machine running Windows Vista or Windows 7, you can download iTunes 10.X and update your Touch that way. The latest version of iTunes is 10.5.2.
QUOTE Thanks
orion_d

Yup, it does want iTunes 10, if I don't have access to another computer (let's say I'm alone on a mountain), is there any other way to do it? Also won't my iPod want to sync with another computer if i try to update it on another system?

thanx
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

No other way to do it as far as I know. And yes, if you had a Windows 7 machine running iTunes 10.5.2 and hooked up your Touch, it would want to sync with iTunes on that machine. But frankly, what of it?

I've synced iPods with Windows machines before. And then later on when I bought my first Mac, I synced again to the new Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
orion_d

I guess my issue is that I'd be using someone elses machine. Would syncing to a different computer cost me my library? Could I update on someone else's machine and then re-sync to my computer or will my iPod be incompatible with my poor little mac once it is all high falootin' and updated?

Thanx again for your input and happy/ merry.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

That's a different scenario. You would not want to sync using someone else's machine - regardless if it were a Mac or PC. What I recommended was updating it using a Windows machine that belonged to you. The reason not to use a machine that doesn't belong to you is obvious.

One other thing you can try... take your new Touch to an Apple store and ask one of the techs there to update it for you. They can update it without syncing and should do it for free.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« different language | ipod nano fm recent songs + headphones »