New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Current iPod Touch - Worth Getting?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zacster

zacster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel iMac 20" Core Duo 256mb VRam 115gb SSD 2gb Ram Finally!!!

My daughter wants an iPhone, but I'm not willing to pay the data plan, mostly because she has a brother and sister that would also then want one, so it would be 3 data plans. (As we keep telling all 3 kids, you can have x, or you can go to college! )

Anyway, now she says she wants an iPod touch, since she'll then have the games and video, and music of course, and I could sign her up for our free wifi coverage provided by the cable company, so even out on the street she'll sometimes be able to get a signal. (spotty at best)

Are these worth it? Just reading the spec I can see that it isn't just an iPhone without the phone, but more like last gen iPhones with a less powerful processor. And how is battery life? I had a 1st Gen touch and it was useless in that regard. If I left wifi on I'd get maybe an hour.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

The current ones are incredibly popular with teens, which should indicate that the battery life is not really an issue anymore. Nobody knows when or if Apple will update the Touch to more closely match the iPhone 4S' capability, my WAG would be next summer (they want Siri to be an iPhone exclusive for a while).
QUOTE Thanks
zacster

I looked at the Apple store today, and you wouldn't guess that they sell many of them. Every table is packed with people, except the iPods'. They function well enough, but I'm still hesitant. I guess if that's what she wants she can have one.

I checked the Cablevision coverage map and found that Manhattan just isn't covered. Bronx, Brooklyn, NJ are. There was some talk of cross honoring the coverage, but Time-Warner and Cablevision just don't talk to each other so that's not happening.
QUOTE Thanks
zacster

I broke down and bought her one, white 32gb. It seems expensive, but she's happy. It is definitely better than the 1st gen that I have. I always thought my 1st Gen touch was a POS. In fact, even Apple thought so and was giving them away with purchases of MacBooks a few years back.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster View Post
In fact, even Apple thought so and was giving them away with purchases of MacBooks a few years back.
Uh, no.
QUOTE Thanks
zacster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Uh, no.
?? The 1st gen touch that I have was exactly that, free with the purchase of a MacBook. The 1st gen was thought to be an iPhone without the phone, but wasn't really even that, with a slower processor, a weak battery and weak wifi. They didn't sell very well, and Apple was clearing them out as it had already introduced gen 2.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Quote:
?? The 1st gen touch that I have was exactly that, free with the purchase of a MacBook.
I wasn't disputing that you got one that way. I was disputing your incorrect assertion that Apple thought they were junk and that's the reason for the promotion.

By that logic, every back-to-school promotion has secretly been to get rid of "junk" iPods or iPod Touches for YEARS now. Indeed, by that logic every new Mac model introduction "proves" that the last model must have been junk.

That's the part that's not true. Was the promotion a clever way to clear out the last of the "soon to be old" model's stock ahead of the new announcement? Yes it was.

Does the fact that Apple replaced the first generation (name of product) with a second generation (name of product) mean that they thought the first generation was junk? No it does not.

The 1st gen was thought to be an iPhone without the phone, but wasn't really even that, with a slower processor, a weak battery and weak wifi. They didn't sell very well, and Apple was clearing them out as it had already introduced gen 2.[/QUOTE]
QUOTE Thanks
ghopper

ghopper is on a distinguished road

I have a 32gb & love it. More & more places have wifi coverage. You can use Skype to make free calls so it's almost as good as a phone.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Quote:
My daughter wants an iPhone, but I'm not willing to pay the data plan, mostly because she has a brother and sister that would also then want one, so it would be 3 data plans. (As we keep telling all 3 kids, you can have x, or you can go to college! )

Anyway, now she says she wants an iPod touch, since she'll then have the games and video, and music of course, and I could sign her up for our free wifi coverage provided by the cable company, so even out on the street she'll sometimes be able to get a signal. (spotty at best)

Are these worth it? Just reading the spec I can see that it isn't just an iPhone without the phone, but more like last gen iPhones with a less powerful processor. And how is battery life? I had a 1st Gen touch and it was useless in that regard. If I left wifi on I'd get maybe an hour.
If you dont want/cant afford an iPhone, an iPod Touch (4th Gen) is a great bit of kit. Ive used a few at work, and they feel very similar to the iPhone 4's in terms of responsiveness.

Pros:

- Lighter

- Facetime (front and rear camera)

- iMessages (send SMS messages over wifi to other Apple devices)

- Games

- Email

- cheaper, more storage for money

- Retina display, just like the iPhone

- no data plan, so no extra charges will incur if your daughter uses up her allowance

Cons:

- It isnt a phone

- no Siri (at the moment.)

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
Kaioshoryuken1

Kaioshoryuken1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 500GB OS10.7.2 i5, 4G 32GB iPod Touch

I agree that Apple has made significant strides with the iPod Touch 4 vs the first generation. When only the 8GB and 16GB were available, I received a 16GB for my birthday and thought it was the greatest thing around, shortly after they were released. If I listened to strictly music, and didn't watch videos, kept app usage to a minimum, then my battery life was about 5-6 hours, and between work and school eating up most of the time in the day, it suit my lifestyle just fine. However, then the 2nd generation, the 3rd gen, and then the 4th gen were released as time passed. I realized that my iPod lacked the two cameras, the internal music speaker, the external volume buttons, the microphone, and the retina display. My battery life was also inferior. These things became such a part of the iPod Touch's identity that having a 1st gen felt incredibly lacking, though it did the job excellently as far as playing and storing music went. My parents purchased a 32GB 4th gen for my birthday present last year and because I didn't have my ipod backed up, the apple store associate allowed us to take care of the backing up at home and return with the old ipod and the new receipt to do the trade in program. That was excellent service, generally they only allow you trade it in at the time of transaction.

I've had excellent luck with this iPod touch so far, a year later. No breakage, complete reliability, does everything I wanted and more. 4th generation, until we get something new is definitely the way to go!

Edit: Also, I'd like to add that I really love your user avatar, Rob. It's awesome.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External Drive Question/itunes | Capture streaming audio from iTunes Radio... »