New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Finding I-Pod serial numbers on my imac.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Acktorman

Acktorman is on a distinguished road

I need to identify my ipod shuffle but cannot find the paperwork with the serial number. Is there any way to find that devices serial number on my imac? This device is synched to the imac and the devices library is in itunes on this mac.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

When it is docked it will show up in summary in devices in iTunes.
QUOTE Thanks
Acktorman

Thanks. Unfortunately, it was stolen and is now in the hands of school authorities who want serial number to confirm ownership and return it to us.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Did you register it? If so, you can find the SN.. here:

https://daw.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObj...language=US-EN
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2011-12-07 at 4.04.41 PM.png (72.4 KB, 15 views)

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

logs - Is it possible to find the serial number of stolen devices using a Mac that they've been connected to? - Apple - Stack Exchange
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

Just tried in Lion go to Finder > Library > Preferences > iPod plists then it opens Text Edit and there it is amongst other info.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

mikeMBP-2:~ mike$ sudo grep -Ri '<Serialnumber>' /Library/Preferences
Password:
mikeMBP-2:~ mike$

However...

mikeMBP-2:~ mike$ grep -Ri '<serialnumber>' ~/Library/Preferences
Binary file /Users/mike/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.iTunes.345ECB35-9FF6-5E1A-AF76-D94062162ECF.plist matches
Binary file /Users/mike/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iPod.plist matches

if I open /Users/mike/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iPod.plist in textwrangler..

We see..

Code:
		<dict>
			<key>Connected</key>
			<date>2011-12-07T02:37:57Z</date>
			<key>Device Class</key>
			<string>iPhone</string>
			<key>Family ID</key>
			<integer>10016</integer>
			<key>Firmware Version</key>
			<integer>256</integer>
			<key>Firmware Version String</key>
			<string>5.0.1</string>
			<key>ID</key>
			<string>21B8890X0E735E1F</string>
			<key>IMEI</key>
			<string>0130330003668843</string>
			<key>Serial Number</key>
			<string>XXXXXXXXXXXXX</string>    <-----
			<key>Updater Family ID</key>
			<integer>10016</integer>
			<key>Use Count</key>
			<integer>5</integer>
good catch osxx!

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

Thanks apparently its good to know if a device gets stolen for insurance and police report.
QUOTE Thanks
Acktorman

Thank you all for your help! Thanks to your advice, I was able to recover the serial number and the device!
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

I take screen snapshots of all of my devices and store them on a flash drive that its hidden just I case something like this happens to me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Shattered Screen ipod touch 4th | Trying to fix iPod Touch (1G) headphone jack »