New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Macbook Pro Freezes and Quits when connecting iPod Classic

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

youngy89

youngy89 is on a distinguished road

Basically it says everything in the title.

Open iTunes, connect iPod

"beachball of death"

Then iTunes quits and gives me an error report.

Had my iPod for a good few years now (iPod classic 80gb) and it has never done this before... up until now of course.

I've tried repairing disk permissions but that hasnt had any luck.

Help!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If your MBP is OK when other USB devices are attached, that pretty much isolates it to the iPod Classic. The drive in the iPod may have gone south. Can you still listen to music on it and or use it normally?
QUOTE Thanks
youngy89

Thanks for replying!

Yeah all other devices using the USB are fine.

I haven't noticed any problems/differences in the iPod since these problems have started. I saw somewhere that you should check the iPod disk with disk utility but the iPod HD doesn't show up in disk utility. Is this normal, or can you normally see it?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

You should be able to "see" the Classic hard drive with Disk Utility but not if it's locking up your MBP when you attach it. Do you have another computer at home that you can try to plug it in to? Even a PC would be OK.

You might also go into iTunes when the Classic is not attached, and tell it not to open when devices are plugged in. That might work.
QUOTE Thanks
youngy89

Unfortunately I don't have another computer.

And I cant tell itunes to not open when the ipod is attached as you have to tell itunes to do that whilst the ipod is attached and obviously it crashes every time. (Does that make sense?!)

Could I delete the iTunes application, then connect my iPod to see whats happening in disk utility, then reinstall iTunes? Or would this lose all the music I have?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Deleting iTunes and reinstalling is a lot of work. If you decide to do that, backup all your music and other downloads first. Try to find a friend or someone who will let you attach the Classic to their computer so you can attempt to read the hard drive. On second though, it has to be a Mac because I just remembered that iTunes setup your Classic to use the Mac file system.
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

Have you tried using a different cord?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can Some one Help me fix my iTouch 1st gen? | Help with iPod Touch 1st Gen »