New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod 1st gen replacement...?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

far_mac_cident

far_mac_cident is on a distinguished road

Hey all... Just got email from apple saying they're going to replace 1st gen nanos because of battery issues... Anyone know what they are going replace them with?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Not sure. I just got an email also and my serial number fits and they are sending me a box. Will see what I can find out.
QUOTE Thanks
far_mac_cident

far_mac_cident is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply (I forgot to put nano in the thread title)... Apple sure didn't let on what it is going to be. Remember when Steve pulled thing out of his jeans pocket on stage !! Had to have!!
QUOTE Thanks
FritzDaCat

FritzDaCat is on a distinguished road

Yeah, they're sending me the return box, too. Then we ship them the unit. I'm guessing they'll replace the battery and send it back. Hardly seems worth it. Maybe they can lube up the click wheel while they have it-- mine is getting balky
QUOTE Thanks
halfmonkey

halfmonkey is on a distinguished road

We for sure won't be getting our original ipod nano back because the email clearly stated that if the ipod was engraved, we will lose that. So the question is if we'll be getting a brand new ipod nano or a refurbrished ipod nano. I believe it will be a refurbrished 1gen because of the lead time. I don't know what the different internal parts are between the 1gen and the current gen ipod nano but considering that it's 5 or 6 years old, there has to be some differences and I can't believe that Apple still has the tooling to remake the 1gen ipod when all of the manufacturering plants are building the current gen ipod nano.

Also, if they were to replace with a current gen, I'd think they would mention something in the email about color choice or memory capacity but it doesn't say anything about that so again, I think Apple is just going to send out a replacement nano from someone that sent their nano in for replacement.

Not complaining because they are fixing an issue but at the same time, they should find a way to allow us to keep our engraving. Considering that not many people still have a functioning 1gen nano, this could be a good faith gesture with positive PR results and the cost of doing all of this would really just amount to the cost of repairing any bad publicity that might come out of this if Apple choose not to do this.

I'll still wish for a brand new replacementnt though. I'll take an 8gb in black please.
QUOTE Thanks
FritzDaCat

Has anybody gotten their return box yet? It was supposed to be received within 2 business days and that was Saturday. It's now past EOB Thursday and I haven't seen mine yet. Just curious if I've missed something.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Fritz, I got my Box and packed it and took it to FedEx. it's on it's way to Apple FedEx overnight! They paid for it all and even included the tape to seal the box!!! I am very impressed!
QUOTE Thanks
FritzDaCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Fritz, I got my Box and packed it and took it to FedEx. it's on it's way to Apple FedEx overnight! They paid for it all and even included the tape to seal the box!!! I am very impressed!
hmmmmm.... okay, i guess the box will get here eventually, thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzDaCat View Post
hmmmmm.... okay, i guess the box will get here eventually, thanks!
If you live up in the mountains maybe it will take longer to get to you. They rang my bell at 11AM this morning with the box. I live just 3-4 miles from a large FedEx depot.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Just a heads up to all who sent in their iPod Nano's for replacement. As I said above the box came and I packed and sent it to Apple. Very next morning got an email saying they received it and were checking it. Then checked the site later and it's at the last stage and they are sending me out a new one. That was fast.

I will post back here when I receive the new Nano!
QUOTE Thanks
FritzDaCat

Still no box here! I have a feeling that they had trouble getting into my gated condo complex. UPS has no problem but Fed Ex, not so much. Great to hear it will go fast if the box ever gets here!!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The answer to your questions:

New 'first-gen' iPod nano replacements now shipping | iPodNN
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

My replacement is on it's way. I posted this in another thread but can't find it! Grin

Thanks for the URL Chas.
QUOTE Thanks
halfmonkey

halfmonkey is on a distinguished road

I submitted my request on 11/14 and I did receive an email to confirm my request but I still haven't received the pre-paid return box yet.
QUOTE Thanks
FritzDaCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmonkey View Post
I submitted my request on 11/14 and I did receive an email to confirm my request but I still haven't received the pre-paid return box yet.
Yeah, me too. Just got the box today and I'm in Cali.
Like dTravis7 said above: very impressive! Nice little box all ready to easily send back. Apple rocks~~
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPod Classic "Disk Insertion" error | Plz help!!...ipod touch 4g screen broken »