Differnece in generations of Ipod Touch?
    List,

For a college internship, I am required to buy an Ipod Touch to record clinical information.

To-date I have not needed or researched the Ipods. So I need to be brought up to speed quickly. I have looked at some 3rd generation Ipods as well as new ones.

What would you say is the major differences between the two generations? If I only plan to use the Ipod for this project I am hoping I can get away cheaper by not having to have the latest and greatest. However I do want to know what I will give up by getting an older one?

Second, I had knocked around the idea of getting an Iphone as that will suffice. The biggest drawback is that of cost per month. Would you also address (but not make the topic totally about) the difference between the Iphone and the Ipod touch. Yes I realize the pod does not make calls. Beyond that what else is different?

D300

Voice recording?
    After doing a little reading on the current model I see it have a voice recorder function. That would be very useful.

Which previous generations ALSO have this? If any?

D300

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Take a look at this. That should answer your question.

Even better, here is info on the 4th gen, 3rd gen, 2nd gen and 1st gen.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
    Yes I realize the pod does not make calls.
    I have a iPod Touch 4G, I have Skype installed on it with Skype out credits and a telephone number that is somewhere in Arizona.
    I can call anybody on the whole world and anybody on the whole world can call me… as long as I have a WiFi signal.
    This would work on any iPod Touch that supports the Skype iOS application.
    Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
    Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
    The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

What happens to your calls when
    What happens to your calls when someone tries to call you and you do NOT have wi-fi?

Does skype have voice mail?

D300

Specs:
    2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
    Yes, Skype has a voicemail package.
    If I'm offline and a call comes in it goes on my voicemail and I can then call them back when I have WiFi again.
    Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
    Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
    The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

Specs:
    Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
    i use text free from the app store that allows you to make calls and unlimited texts. The newest touch is going to be faster and smaller and support for the 3rd generation is going to be over in another year or so.

Free Text question
    Thanks for your response to my question. I just learned of free text this week. I will be interested in that. Same question I asked of the skype user, what happens to any text messages sent when you are NOT in wi-fi range? Are they lost or set once you establish a connection?

ANYONE know if this will work on a 3rd Gen????

D300

Also sent poster a private message, but wanted to open this up to anyone with this app for experiences.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Why not just buy the latest model and be done with it? How much is your time worth?

Cost factor
    chas M,

Obviously since I took the time to ask, the cost factor is more important than having the latest and greatest.

I left a full time job to go back to college for secondd degree full-time, I am watching expenses somewhat seriously.

If a slightly older unit, that I have no reason to buy otherwise will do the job, I prefer to same the money.

All I am attempting to do is determine if one gen older will do all I want it to do.

D300

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    I'll try to help, but you could really be much more helpful by providing some information on what software you will need to "record clinical information."

If the app you will be using requires a camera, then you have to buy the latest model, as it's the only one that has a camera. That's really the MAJOR difference between the two models from a practical standpoint. The other main difference is that the 3rd generation may or may not be compatible with iOS 5, whereas the latest one almost certainly will be. This has no immediate bearing on your requirements, but is a factor in thinking long-term.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    iOS 5 supports the 3rd gen so that won't be an issue (source). At some point though, the 3rd gen is bound to be unsupported by iOS while the 4th gen still is. When that is though is unknown at this point.

Whomever it is that you're working for must have a list of criteria/required apps. Do you have such a list?
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Thread Information