New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod video 30gb trouble

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

I have a 30gb video that I use strictly in the car. It has been working fine for a good amount of time now, but has stopped working suddenly. Last week, while driving, this screeching noise came out of the speakers while playing a song. I thought it was a bad usb/ipod connection, but it wasn't it. Now, the ipod does not play any sound, even though it shows the song playing through on the screen. No matter if I plug it in via the usb or the headphone jack, no sound comes out of it. Anyone know what this problem could be? I've been searching for a related problem online almost all day, and can't seem to find anything, even though I don't really know the keyword(s) to search for.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
dauber

dauber is a jewel in the roughdauber is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04

Could be a problem with the headphone jack; it's a common problem with the 5G iPods. You can get a replacement headphone jack for a few bucks from ifixit.com. I fixed mine a few years ago when it had that problem; it was surprisingly easy. Just make sure you're grounded when you fix it, as a single spark will fry the motherboard.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauber View Post
Could be a problem with the headphone jack; it's a common problem with the 5G iPods. You can get a replacement headphone jack for a few bucks from ifixit.com. I fixed mine a few years ago when it had that problem; it was surprisingly easy. Just make sure you're grounded when you fix it, as a single spark will fry the motherboard.
It's not the jack because the Harman Kardon system plugs in through the ipod usb connector, the the headphone jack. Even through it, it doesn't play audio, even though it shows the song playing along. The same problem is noticed when using the headphone jack.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

For anyone else curious, here is a thread that I just found on Apple's site describing my EXACT problem-
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...95417&tstart=0

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

No Sound Ipod - MacNN Forums
I've been finding out more and more info on this, but Apple won't tell anyone how to fix it, and have stopped repairing for this MANUFACTURER DEFECT! I'm honestly so ticked off right now!

QUOTE Thanks
dauber

dauber is a jewel in the roughdauber is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04

To be fair, it is an old iPod...the 30-gig is from 2005...
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauber View Post
To be fair, it is an old iPod...the 30-gig is from 2005...
So? The same problem has persisted from that model since new, and even on new classic models. Apple knows of the problem, and has completely stopped helping customers. They don't even tell people what the problem is. I think you haven't been reading the problems that people are having.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What OS do iPod nanos run? | How do I erase my iPod? »