New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

playlist issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

creat10n

i think i figured out what i need to do, but it's going to be a pain in the butt to do it.

i have all of my music files stored on my new 40GB iPod. they were previously on a network drive, but they were taking up too much space. i can create playlists from folder drops into iTunes easily as i had done before, but when i try to put those playlists on the iPod so i can play them back when i'm out and about, it makes duplicate files and clogs my iPod.

the obvious answer of what to do is to copy everything back over to the network drive, create playlists in iTunes of all my folders and then let iTunes copy the music to the iPod. the problem is, i use some of these files with DJ software that requires the files to be readily available on the filesystem, which is apparently not the case when copying files via iTunes?

how do i get these playlists to read from locations within the mac filesystem portion of the iPod?

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

Welcome to Mac-Forums!

are you on a mac or pc?

QUOTE Thanks
creat10n

sorry, i sometimes forget that you can use iPods with Windows.

MacOS 10.2.8, iTunes 4.1, iPod software 2.0.1
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

im not sure why its duplicating the files on your ipod, unless you have it set to automatically sync with your ipod when you plug it in. what do you have set as your music library for itunes?

for the dj software, can you set the path to the files, or do you have to click on it to choose?

QUOTE Thanks
creat10n

i don't have it set to sync automatically, but when i take a playlist in iTunes and drop it on the icon for my iPod in the playlist frame, it copies it to the iPod, i assume into a hidden folder. looking at the other threads in this forum, perhaps my solution is to use a file utility to unhide the hidden folders and play around with them, like using a folder of music in the hidden area as the source of an iTunes playlist, then when i add it to the iPod playlists it will just keep them in the same place?

i'm still pretty new to this whole iPod thing, i don't completely know how it works...

the software i use is based on a file system browser, so i wouldnt' be able to use it with the hidden folders...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPod, iTunes heavily promoted on Stern, Cane shows | Apple releases new iPod software for Panther »