New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

weird picture problem - cannot copy pictures to iPod touch - "cannot be played"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

steviec

steviec has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Intel 2.8 GHZ, 500 GB 7200rpm, 4 GB DDR3, OSX 10.6.8, Bootcamp & XP SP2

i used to be able to sync photos from my mac to my iPod touch (Amazon said it was a 3rd gen, but an app says the hardware in 2nd gen), i have iOS 4.01 (photo sync worked fine on iOS 3, have not tried since then), i'm using iTunes 9, my iPod touch is not jailbroken. i have tried power cycling to no avail.

photos that used to sync no longer do, cannot use iTunes to sync from a folder or iPhoto, have tried deleting ALL current pics (which were all screen grabs), then i tried copying the screen grabs that were taken off my iPod back on - and they were not compatible.

all is says is:

"(filename) was not copied to the iPod (my iPod name) because it cannot be played on this iPod"

i have tried:
.BMP
.bmp
.JPG
.jpg
.JPEG
.jpeg
.tiff
.tif
.rif
.GIF
.gif
.PNG
.png

i have tried exporting with different compression types, no luck.
i have tried re-sizing them. like i say, even the pics generated by ipod screen grab give the same message when i transfer them back onto my pod.

all get the same message.

i tired syncing photos that i know once did successfully transfer, but now they also get the above message.

i have about 200 MB free on a 8GB (7GB formatted) iPoid touch. the photos take up 2MB total (approx 178 KB each) for compressed, about 1.5 Meg each for uncompressed formats.

i can still sync music, podcasts & videos fine.

Work is more fun than fun - Noel Coward
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Have you tried it with the latest iTunes? iTunes 10 available here: Apple - iTunes - Everything you need to be entertained

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

I have exactly the same problem. Both my itunes and ipod touch software are up to date yet I do not see a 'photos' button under devices in itunes as all the Apple support pages tell me I should.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice

There isn't a photos button under devices, you have to click on the device i.e Dave's iPhone, then click the photos tab on that page (as shown in picture), you can then select the folder(s) where your pictures are that you want to sync to the ipod/ iphone.

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
steviec

Mac Specs: Intel 2.8 GHZ, 500 GB 7200rpm, 4 GB DDR3, OSX 10.6.8, Bootcamp & XP SP2

thats what i tried to use for uploading photos - i went into my ipod, clicked the photos tab, selected a folder i put aside for the ipod, and itunes would come with the error message and not transfer the photos. i tried trashing the photo cache within the folder, but it made no difference.

it worked with my previous version of itunes so im not sure why i would have to update to a newer version.

QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

It could be down to the version of itunes being comatible with the ipod and the ios version on the ipod but not all features i.e syncing photos. Also just noticed that you have .rif listed there which is not compatible with ipod, try converting those pictures in .rif or move them out of the way and try again

- Simon

May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Thanks Buzzard - that solved my problem. Obviously the instructions that I kept finding were for an older version of the software.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

No problem at all, glad to help!

- Simon

May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
steviec

i usually use jpgs, all im saying is ive tried every format to rule out format dependency. no format will sync - iPod says it cannot be played (surely it should say it cannot be viewed/displayed etc)

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ipod 4g 64g Cracked Screen | iTouch Doesn't Skip Songs Programmed to Skip While Shuffling »