New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Photo Import feature on 20G BW ipod

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

edokid

edokid is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, question. I have 2 20G black and white iPods. One is a year old, the other is a day old. In the settings I noticed an option called photo import. I'm positive that this wasn't always there and must be something new in one of the recent software updates. I'm just curious though, what does this feature do? Does it work with the camera connector by Apple? The one at Apple adds a USB port to the iPod so you can upload pictures directly from your digital camera. The only thing is that it says requirements are a Photo ipod with the iPod photo software. So I'm just curious what this does, because I'm really hoping I can use the connector with this ipod! Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
FishinFool

FishinFool is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemoreau
Hey guys, question. I have 2 20G black and white iPods. One is a year old, the other is a day old. In the settings I noticed an option called photo import. I'm positive that this wasn't always there and must be something new in one of the recent software updates. I'm just curious though, what does this feature do? Does it work with the camera connector by Apple? The one at Apple adds a USB port to the iPod so you can upload pictures directly from your digital camera. The only thing is that it says requirements are a Photo ipod with the iPod photo software. So I'm just curious what this does, because I'm really hoping I can use the connector with this ipod! Thanks.
I'm almost positive that you can upload pictures with this one...which was originally made for B&W iPods...
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/acc...l-camera-link/

However now that sd, compact flash cards, etc. are so cheap I think its a better deal to buy like a 1g card...unless they have a cheaper version of that camera link
QUOTE Thanks
Tel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinFool
However now that sd, compact flash cards, etc. are so cheap I think its a better deal to buy like a 1g card...unless they have a cheaper version of that camera link
I think its worth more than a 1GB CF card. I can fit about 90 RAW photos on my 1GB CF card but can easily take a few hundred shots on any given shoot. I'd rather have 20GB of iPod space instead of an extra 1GB CF card.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...0.6.13.1.0.0.1

It's come down in price to around 40 bucks... and yes, it'll work with b&w iPods. (3rd and 4th gen).
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

The key here (for others reading this thread) is to understand that it allows you to upload and store photos on a b/w iPod-- not view them. I remember I was confused when I first saw that.

I'm with Tel on the storage advantage of the iPod, but since I rarely shoot in RAW format my 1 GB CF card does fine for me...
QUOTE Thanks
edokid

I don't care if it lets me view them, obviously you can't since it's BW. Just Apple's site says the camera connector requires a photo ipod, and the ipod photo software to use. I just wanted to be 100% certain, thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
edokid

How exactly are you doing this? I was just in the Apple store today and tried it out and it doesn't work at all. This was with a new Canon Elph 7.1mp camera. I took pictures, attached the connector and camera via USB and turned it on. The screen just shows the saved images. It should go black like when you connect it to a computer to transfer images but it doesn't. If I go to Photo Import on the iPod nothing happens, just says Photo Import and shows a blank screen. They said that it only works wtih iPod photo and when you plug the camera in and turn on the camera the iPod will automatically pop up saying do you want to import images. Mine doesn't do this, it's a brand new 20g bw ipod too. What do I need to do?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPod mini with Mac and MS | ipod formatting? mac or pc »