New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Copy Protection Concerns

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Abdiel

Abdiel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" PowerBook 1.5ghz

Question about recent copy protection developments...

Since I've made the switch to Mac I've been quite tempted to get an iPod but I was given pause by my guitar teacher's recent question to me.

He knows I have an iRiver and he was asking about copy protection. He said that when he bought the recent Dave Mathews CD he found that while it could be imported into iTunes it could not be put on an iPod.

I wasn't familiar with this problem and so my question is this?

Is this this truly the case? (He's not the most computer literate person I know so I wanted to verify the problem)

If so, is it going to become common?

How can I get around it...can I rip to MP3 through some other program like WMP and then put it on an iPod?

finally...if it is true...are they crazy and will it last? I'm not about to go back to carrying around a case full of CD's no matter what.....it makes me want to bootleg out of pure spite when I learn that even if I do buy a CD I may not be able to put it on my iPod.
QUOTE Thanks
Acill

Acill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2

I've never had this problem and I have a lot of music.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

The newest DMB album was released as a CD and a DualDisc. The DualDisc has no copy protection on it. The CD does but it is easily circumvented (And I think it doesn't even work on Macs)

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
(And I think it doesn't even work on Macs)
woooo hoooo go macs

QUOTE Thanks
xthisisRomancex

the thing is... U have the right if u legaly buy the CD. to put it on ur computer and your mp3 player... byt them blocking this this will be an infridgment against your rights.
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xthisisRomancex
the thing is... U have the right if u legaly buy the CD. to put it on ur computer and your mp3 player... byt them blocking this this will be an infridgment against your rights.
sue em!

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Most copy protection schemes don't work on os x, meaning usually 2 disks are mounted: 1 data portion with a software player for mac and 1 regular audio cd that iTunes can rip
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Most copy protection schemes don't work on os x, meaning usually 2 disks are mounted: 1 data portion with a software player for mac and 1 regular audio cd that iTunes can rip
hmmm Ive only ever seen that when there is a bonus music video on the cd.

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Well I have a few with copy protection, and they nearly all do that.
Ususally there's a little music playback app on the data part of the disk so you can play back the CD without being able to rip it.

The mac loads both parts though, so you're still able to do the Rip.
QUOTE Thanks
Abdiel

Abdiel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" PowerBook 1.5ghz

Ok, so....you're saying that this issue of being able to rip into iTunes but not put it on an iPod doesn't happen with OS X? So I should be able to rip and use any recent CD just like any of my older ones?
QUOTE Thanks
mcsenerd

mcsenerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by xthisisRomancex
Me thinks this is not an entirely accurate statement at this point in time...

Welcome to the intersection of the DMCA and the Betamax ruling...good luck on being on the right side in whoever eventually wins (If I was betting though...I'd go with the ones that line more politician pockets...ie MPAA, RIAA, etc.)
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdiel
Ok, so....you're saying that this issue of being able to rip into iTunes but not put it on an iPod doesn't happen with OS X? So I should be able to rip and use any recent CD just like any of my older ones?
Hang on, I just re-read the original posting:

He could rip it in iTunes, but not put it on his iPod?
Makes absolutely no sense to me, I think he's mistaken.

If it is in iTunes and I can play it there, it can be copied to my iPod, unless it is a protected AAC file (i.e. iTunes music store) and I'm not authorized to copy it to any more iPods (limit is like 5 I think).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPod questions for potential buyer | Format iPod to FAT32 on a Mac »