New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

ipod classic freezes when i try to sync

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Wakefield10

Wakefield10 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I just bought a 120gb ipod classic from ebay. it seems to be in really good condition but I just cant get it to sync to my itunes. When I plug it in it syncs for a little while and then it makes itunes freeze and I can't even eject it I just have to pull the cable out. It didnt do it at the same number or size of songs everytime so i thought i would just try and sync it bit by bit. I managed to get 802 songs onto it by doing this but now when i try to sync it always gets stuck on 12 songs.

I've resetting the ipod and restoring it to original settings but nothing seems to work.

Can anyone help?
QUOTE Thanks
Wakefield10

Wakefield10 is on a distinguished road

i just did a hardware test and i dont think the results are too good.

retracts: 16
reallocs: 6936
pending sectors : 0
power on hours :50
start stops :1404
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Sadly it sounds like the internal hard drive is dead or dying.
Does it play back the songs you've managed to get on it ok?
You could try reformatting, though it's not really ever necessary, but I suspect the drive will be a gonner soon, if not already.
If it was sold as fully working you may have some comeback, but it's notoriously difficult to do this via Ebay sales.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I had a similar problem with mine, getting only between 400 and 800 tracks on it, then it would just hang.

This went on for weeks, but a reformat eventually worked (I had reset the thing several times before - so I have no clear idea why the problem went away)

I would make sure iTunes is up to the latest version, then reset the ipod back to its old settings

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best format to record music on ipod? | USB Iphone to car jack »