New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

USB HUB Charging

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fasheezy

fasheezy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD

is there any way that i can charge my 2G iPod mini via USB HUB, instead of plugging into my computer or buying a power adapter?
QUOTE Thanks
FishStickBoy

Is the USB hub is self powered (powered by a power supply) or powered from the computers root hub (requires no power supply, like a memory stick or mouse)?

If it's self powered then there should be no problem.

But if the hub is powered from the computers root hub you might draw too much current if using too many devices. This wouldn't hurt the devices but they might not work properly.

Root USB hubs provide a maximum of 500mA of current? If this is exceeded the computer will not enumerate all devices.

I would say if the hub isn't powered then use only the iPod on that hub and it should work fine.
QUOTE Thanks
fasheezy

fasheezy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishStickBoy
Is the USB hub is self powered (powered by a power supply) or powered from the computers root hub (requires no power supply, like a memory stick or mouse)?

If it's self powered then there should be no problem.

But if the hub is powered from the computers root hub you might draw too much current if using too many devices. This wouldn't hurt the devices but they might not work properly.

Root USB hubs provide a maximum of 500mA of current? If this is exceeded the computer will not enumerate all devices.

I would say if the hub isn't powered then use only the iPod on that hub and it should work fine.
it is a self powered one and i just tested it and it doesn't work. maybe there are USB Hubs that have more juice? i don't know.
QUOTE Thanks
vtupser

Your USB hub needs to be USB 2.0 so that it can send power through the USB cable. If it is USB 1.1 then you will not get any power going to your mini.
QUOTE Thanks
djlee12

djlee12 has a spectacular aura about

USB 1.1 does send power, as does USB 2.0. However, I'm don't think the Ipod mini even supports drawing power over USB 1.1 (I don't think it's enough juice). You'll need USB 2.0.

DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
www.wattsupproductions.com
QUOTE Thanks
Graeme43

Graeme43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: I love student discount (sig)

I have a USB 4 port hub with a power brick that i dont use.. and i get bluetooth, ipod shuffle and ipod 4G through it and all is fine

iBook G3 (2001) 500MHz 384 RAM 9.2.2 / 10.2.8
Titanium PowerBook G4 (2001) 500MHz 768 RAM 9.2.2/10.2.8
Mac Pro (2007) 4x2.66GHz, 6GB RAM, 10.6.7
iPad 3G + iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

According to Apple the mini must be charged from the computer or the power adapter, no hubs.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Better than iPod? | ipod rattling »