New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

showing off my redone iPod touch 1st gen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mjb94

mjb94 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1 prev. gen MB with a 350hd. 1 20inch previous iMac. Both run SL jailbroken 1st gen ipod touc. &3g i

Today, i was looking for a way to spice up my ist gen ipod touch, noticing some of the metal showing around the black bezel i decided to remove it all. so i masked it all off and got to work i sanded and sanded and polished to get the look i was going for, it feels much differnt in your hand now, im thinking about brushing the back of it late . comments or questions, post them below.

QUOTE Thanks
Emptee

Emptee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4Ghz, 2Gb, 160HDD & 10.6.2 / Aluminum Keybaord & Mighty Mouse / WD MyBook 1TB

I like it! Waaaayyy better then original in my opinion! Kudos man that's pretty good.
QUOTE Thanks
mjb94

Mac Specs: 1 prev. gen MB with a 350hd. 1 20inch previous iMac. Both run SL jailbroken 1st gen ipod touc. &3g i

thanks.

QUOTE Thanks
Emptee

Emptee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4Ghz, 2Gb, 160HDD & 10.6.2 / Aluminum Keybaord & Mighty Mouse / WD MyBook 1TB

What grain sand paper did you use for this and did you have a method or just start sanding and hope for the best? I'm very interested in doing this to my room mate's touch.
QUOTE Thanks
mjb94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptee View Post
What grain sand paper did you use for this and did you have a method or just start sanding and hope for the best? I'm very interested in doing this to my room mate's touch.
Ok, ill write up a little guide.

Materials:
Electrical tape
razor blade
220 rougher would work well to get the brunt of it done grit sand paper (electric sander worked much better, not a belt sander!.
Brasso
old cloth

Start by masking off the bezel with the electrical tape, lay one strip on each side of the screen so just the bezel is showing, after all the sides are done, using the razor blade trim it to fit the bezel, (you let the strips hang over) do the same on the back, you dont need to trim this part, for the bottom where the connecter is just use a few pieces, The next step is to sand. I used 220 grit because its all i had on hand, a rougher paper would work better and quicker, after the brunt of the work is done, either switch to 220 grit or if you were using 220 the whole time, brasso, just polish it up.

a few tips:
when sanding to get the paint off go the across the bezel, not with it, if you want a smooth look, after getting the paint off go a few seconds with the bezel it will look good.

A did most of it by hand but i got lazy on the last side so i found the sander, its the kind that just like vibrates, this worked well, and then polished it,

if you have any questions let me know,

QUOTE Thanks
mjb94

let me know your results if you do it.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ipod touch recovery loop | Where to buy in South Korea? »